Paradigm Monitor 3 . . .
Jun 12, 2002 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Would you guys say these speakers are a good value? Would they be good for a home theater application?

How's the sound coming out of these?

Jun 12, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 17
Paradigm doesn't make a "bad" speaker.

The Monitor series, any model, would make a killer HT setup with the proper sub.

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 17
I dunno... I was at my lcoal hi-fi shop last week and heard a pair of the Paradigm reference and was flat blown-away by the detail and soundstage. Then I found out what they cost and I nearly had a heart attack it was so low!

One would be hard pressed to find a better sounding loudspeaker for the money.

*NOW* If you can find some deals on some Infinity Reference they are pretty decent for the money but not thier going street price. We picked-up some Infinity RS-2s (I think) about 2 years ago when Cruthcfield was doscontinuing the for about half off the old street price. Damn fine speakers for the $600/pr we paid. However, when you look at thier going price (about $1200) the Paradigms I heard were just in another class all together for about the same price.

If I were you I would just buy them and consider the quest for good loudspeakers over for the next few years.

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
hmmm, are there any other speakers that are comparable in bang/buck to the paradigms?

NO

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 17
Paradigm Reference speakers are absolutely amazing as far as price/performance ratio goes. They're even better if you can get them in Canada. The Studio 60's were going for around for 1400 Canadian (roughly 900 US) a while back and would have cost around 1300-1400 US in the states (that's over 2000 canadian!!).

If you are near the border, it'd definitely be worth the trip to make paradigm speaker purchases in Canada. They're Canadian made so Nafta dictates that there will be no duty whatsoever and you'll even get the GST back if you get the proper paperwork from Customs.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by M.Sensation

If you are near the border, it'd definitely be worth the trip to make paradigm speaker purchases in Canada. They're Canadian made so Nafta dictates that there will be no duty whatsoever and you'll even get the GST back if you get the proper paperwork from Customs.

M.Sensation, do you have any experience with cross-border speaker purchases? I'm interested in the Paradigms myself and might go to Toronto to buy a set and drive them down. Is it likely to be a hassle at the border (documentation of origin, paperwork...)?

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 17
hmmm, how much do monitor 3s go for in the US? I mean street price, not retail. I haven't been able to find them here. . .

What about in canada?

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 17
Calanctus:

I don't personally have any experience with buying in Canada and bringing it back to US but you can check this link here. In fact this site is a great place to find out information about speakers. But anyways, that first link is someone in a similar situation as yours.

Andrzejpw:

I don't know off hand what the prices are, but generally Paradigm prices are the same (numerical wise) across US and Canada. The difference is paying Canadian dollars. 1 us dollar is roughly 1.60 canadian (haven't checked the exchange rate in some time tho). Im guessing the Monitor 3's are in the 4-500 dollar range. Lets assume that they are 500; if you were to buy them in Canada they'd cost you around 312 US. So you'd save almost 200 bucks. This is not including taxes. There is a nationwide GST that is 7.0% and each province has their own PST which varies (it's 7.5% here in BC). You get one or the other back if you follow the correct procedure. I do not know this procedure but Im sure that site alluded to before should help you out.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 17
No problem. If you go to the search function in the message boards and use 'Paradigm' and 'Border' as your key words, you'll find a bunch of other posts as well. Some of them even list some typical prices you can expect for different speakers.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back