Panflute New Age
Nov 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Pan Flute? I doubt you're going to find a lot knowledgeable people here on that topic. After all, Head-Fi is the home of Pink Floyd and Metallica...not Yanni -- just kidding
wink.gif

Youtube and google are good resources to research the subject. I spent all of two minutes and found out that Gheorghe Zamfir is generally regarded as the King of the Pan Flute. I can't comment on the music since it really isn't my cup of tea.

Here is a Wikipedia Article that might be of interest with links to notable Pan Flute players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_flute

Hope that helps.

--Jerome

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Peruvian pan flute music, although not as popular as Pink Floyd on these pages, plays a very important role in today's music scene - when played, it lulls giant guinea pigs into a sedated state and keeps them from destroying the world.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 9
I have 6 Inkuyo CDs ... great stuff. I also have Inti-Illimani.

Similar sounding, maybe not as pan-flutey: Khenany, Alturas, Echoes of Incas, Rumillajta, Savia Andina, Sukay. I have all these too.

Most of these groups are on the Narada sampler called Andean Legacy. It's a good one to get an idea of whether you like a group enough to buy their CD. I don't know if it's still sold, if not I'm sure it could be found on the second-hand market.

For Inkuyo, Temple of the Sun has tracks that will blow you away (no pun intended) if you like pan flute. They are the best group listed for this sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back