Panda Bear - Person Pitch (What is this!!!!)
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm on pitchfork and I see all these raves for Animal Collective and in particular Panda Bear. So I go onto Youtube and I start listening to tracks from his most recent album Person Pitch. Occasionally I'll see the album dropped in lists on head-fi.

I'm listening to it and I had a very violent reaction to it. How could this be considered great? It's just samples of other people's music pieced together with a singer on top of it, not a great singer either. It's like computer experiment and it's not particularly musical. Am I missing something? I get very upset by these things, because there are actual songwriters in this world who deserve to be known, instead of a guy with a computer who can take clips of different things a piece together a musical collage. I understand rap has been sampling since day one, but it is that essence of rap which has always caused it to be inundated with detractors. Now this ridiculousness has completely transferred over to the mainstream.

I have a friend with absolutely no musical talent (as far as I'm concerned) but he'll sit at home with his garageband program and piece together prerecorded loops and he'll come out with something that resembles music. Yet he's completely tone deaf, he doesn't know how to play a single instrument. Am I an old dinosaur talking? Am I wrong for thinking music is one thing and this garbage I just listened to as saccharine is to sugar?

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 20
You're not missing anything. It is indeed 'that bad.'

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 20
It got a lot of hype when it came out, and by now it has gotten just about as much backlash. So you're definitely not alone.

My reaction was pretty negative as well on the initial listen. But it has kind of grown on me. Still not one of my favorite albums though.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 20
I like that album a lot, and I think samplers are legitimate musical instruments.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 20
I don't listen to Perfect Pitch much, but Animal Collective is definitely an acquired taste. The first two weeks of listening to them I thought, "This sucks. It's hardly even music." But I was intrigued so I kept playing them until now they are one of my favs. It probably is the same for Panda Bears' album.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 20
sorry y'all don't get it.
one of the more sublime albums from the past couple of years I'd say. Different, but in similar vein of deconstructed/reconstructed beauty as Burial - Untrue and J Dilla - Donuts, but not so hip-hop oriented in its vernacular...more in the lineage of Beach Boys maybe. Gorgeous if you're able to just listen...
(Panda Bear's Person Pitch, that is)

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 20
Out you go, hipster. Music is not hard to understand at all. If they dont like it, thats all there is to it.
Go adjust your jeans - they appear to be trapping all your blood inside your legs and your brain has ceased functioning.

Personally, I like it. However, it is popular because it is "different", not because it is good. Pitchfork can take it up the tail pipe like they always do

...cant stand hipsters. They don't even like music. They like "not conforming". Bah.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 20
I'm just taking the piss
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just taking the piss
wink.gif

Gotcha.

But I want this place to be more angry. Most of the time everyone is so polite they are afraid to even say they don't like a particular band. It just gets a little stale sometimes.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha.

But I want this place to be more angry. Most of the time everyone is so polite they are afraid to even say they don't like a particular band. It just gets a little stale sometimes.

Hey man, **** you.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 20
bwahahaha, that's the spirit.

Another forum I post at has a thread called "bands that can go *&%$ themselves." Since everyone has been so forthright lately, I thought about making that thread here, but I don't think it would work out so well. Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back