Panasonic SL-CT800 CD/MP3 Player impressions
Oct 11, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 29
Tina,
Can you explain to me this 'digital amp' on your md player? it has me Intrigue.
also do you know if the new 20th anivesary sony md player/recorder has this 'digital 'amp' or is it exclusively to sharp's?

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
Tina,
Can you explain to me this 'digital amp' on your md player? it has me Intrigue.
also do you know if the new 20th anivesary sony md player/recorder has this 'digital 'amp' or is it exclusively to sharp's?

http://www.minidisc.org/classd_amp.html

and yes, the 10th anniversary Sony models also have a digital amp. Whether it's as good as the Sharp, is yet to be known, as they are released on November 10th

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 29
Ok, I see...

But if I wait for the Sony to be released will I get the advantage from this new technology from the line-out?

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #19 of 29
"In terms of performance, the perceived sound quality at the ear of these newer configurations should not be any worse than conventional output stages".

That doesn't sound too promising. In the world of hi-end home audio, class D switching amps are generally regarded as suitable only as subwoofer amps because of poor sound quality. That is beginning to change, however, with some of the new designs, such as those from PS Audio and Bel Canto. Sharp did, and maybe still does, market a digital amp for home use. It was VERY expensive and did not sell and got mediocre reviews.

As to the line out, I wonder if units using the digital amp even have a line out. There is not a conventional D/A converter followed by an analog stage as with conventional players. If there is a line out, it might be digital only. Or if it is analog it would be after all of the internal circuitry of the player, basically just the same as the headphone out, but without volume control.

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 29
I was worried about that...

Think I might stick to the sl-ct800 after all. I wont be using the headphone out.

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
Sharp did, and maybe still does, market a digital amp for home use. It was VERY expensive and did not sell and got mediocre reviews.

I'd suspect that Sharp doesn't really have that kind of expertise to pull off audiophile-calibre home products. The DS8 player, however... as an owner, I think it's comparable to portables from the days when competition for battery life wasn't fierce. Which in this day and age is significant.

And I'd like to apologize for mistakes I might have made - reading over Sony's press release again, it seems that only the MZ-E10 uses a digital amp, not the N10.
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 29
I'm curious. I really like the CT800.
Although you say the sound quality is bad from the headphone out.
But I won't be using the headphone out.
I will be using the line-out...
So in that case would the SQ be just as good as 470/570?
(If you're looking to sell your CT800 I'll buy it)

Dec 28, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #24 of 29
Tina, any new feelings on your CT-800?

It seems the "best" out there...if not, what do you think is the BEST cd mp3 portable OVERALL?

I am still in the process of ordering a CD Mp3 since my CT800 got stolen by the damn post office on Christmas!

What you recommend?
The CT800 is still #1 on my list...hmm!

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 29
had my panasonic sl-ct800 for a few days now

i admit i was suprised by the sound out of the box, but it seems it has broken in....sound quality is EXCELLENT right now...im listening to chopin through it as I type...just beautiful sound quality

any new thoughts? maybe you didnt burn it in...

im suprised that you think its not a good pcdp
hope ppl arent mislead about this great unit

Jan 7, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 29
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dinosauract
Sharp did, and maybe still does, market a digital amp for home use. It was VERY expensive and did not sell and got mediocre reviews.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally posted by leon
I'd suspect that Sharp doesn't really have that kind of expertise to pull off audiophile-calibre home products.
frown.gif

Michael Fremer gave the amp an extremely positive review.

Jan 7, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 29
Tina talked about the D-CJ01 followup being supposedly better
than the D-CJ01? Any press release on how good the new Sony
will be? Or any stats or photos or anything at all about it?

Jan 8, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by samwY
had my panasonic sl-ct800 for a few days now

i admit i was suprised by the sound out of the box, but it seems it has broken in....sound quality is EXCELLENT right now...im listening to chopin through it as I type...just beautiful sound quality

any new thoughts? maybe you didnt burn it in...

im suprised that you think its not a good pcdp
hope ppl arent mislead about this great unit

it depends on your standard of "EXCELLENT". if it's your first portable unit, then of course to your ears it will sound "EXCELLENT"
tongue.gif

if anybody out there who owns a d555, d303, high end md units, or even the panasonic ct570 would get the ct800 and say that sl-ct800 has "EXCELLENT" sound, i will rest my case.

i own a lot of units and phones and am too picky in sound quality. and my ct800 is worth my selling to a friend.

anyway, if you like the way it sounds, don't let my ears bother you. just enjoy yourself.

JiPi: there's no word yet of the cj01 precedent. if there will be, you'll be sure to find a lot of info in these boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back