Panasonic sl-ct570 question
Jul 13, 2002 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peterbres

New Head-Fier
I've heard several good things about the panasonic sl-ct570 (on this site and elsewhere) and am looking to buy one. I came across a review that mentions an asian model with a better remote, optical out, and possibly other features not included with the american release. Sure enough, I found a picture (notice the backlit lcd on the remote) on a foreign site (Russian I'm pretty sure) which can be seen at this address:

http://www.audiomarket.ru/product.php?prod_id=3712

If anyone knows where I can obtain one of these, I'd be very appreciative. I know where I can find the american version, but if it's at all possible to get the better one I'd like to try. Thanks,

Peter

Jul 13, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 10
The US versions are becoming scarce at a good price, $65. If you have a osurce for a new one at a good price I would snatch it up.

Jul 13, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 10
i found this place that sells this model and olders ones too for dirt cheap. are the older ones better? some have 40 second shock protection (like the sl-ct570), some have 10 second, i think some have non. what will be my basis for comparisons on old panasonic models? can anybody post a list of the superior ones?

Jul 13, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi Peter,

You can try Yahoo shopping for the american version. They list a few places that still has them. The way only to get a asian version, you'll probablly need to know someone in asia.
frown.gif
Tina?
biggrin.gif

I wonder if the site you found ships to the US?

Jul 14, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Peterbres, Audio Market has them for US$116, but they only ship within Russia. But that should give you an idea of the price to look for. ...

kerelybonto

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 10
guys. i'm sorry but its not a url, it's an actual place
biggrin.gif
. it's kinda like a flea market for electronics stuff. if you guys ever visit korea, let me know, we'll have a blast. most of koreans dont like to buy their portables old so its kinda like a gold mine. there's this old guy today who kinda pused a newer sony unit to me and said in his broken english, "very good" pointing to the g-protection label.
biggrin.gif

anyway, the ct570 prizes vary, most places sell them for (equivalent to $) roughly 80 to 90 bucks. but i saw three or four places who gives them away for $30 bucks more or less.
very_evil_smiley.gif

please answer me, anyone out there, what panasonic older models stand better than this unit.

thanks.

Jul 14, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Tina...I believe the answer would be "none". I think the 570 is actually at the top of Panasonic's list as far as their entire lineup of players go. Older players may have more powerful internal amps, but they sound slightly grainy in comparison to the 570. Newer Panasonic models started dropping the internal amp a bit too much I think. I believe the 570 has the best implementation of both a decent amp and internal DAC of all the Panasonics. Another major lure for the 570 is that it has a compressionless shock protection...newer players will sound a bit worse if you turn on the shock protection. The 570 doesn't have that problem if you put it into its 10sec antishock mode. If you want to beat the 570 soundwise, look into older Sonys, specifically any Sony that has ESP 2 and below. My D465 with ESP 20 sec. definitely trounces the 570 soundwise. The E905 and D777 are supposed to be even better then the 465.

So to answer your question, I would say to pick up a few spare 570s while you still can.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Tina,
Try Panasonic Sl-SX500 (1998), and Sl-S651C(1997). Both of them sound very good to my ears. They are a bit better sounding than Vertigo's Sony D-465. The Sl-SX500 has 40 sec, aluminum body, optical out, and wired remote. The Sl-S651C has 10 sec, illuminated display, and wireless remote. Both are top of the line.

purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back