Panasonic RP-HTX7 Mod [56K WARNING]
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
So I was thinking how K81DJ can be improved by just removing the foam pad inside, than I figure the reverse will work for RP-HTX7, which has been known to be a little harsh. Since I have some old replacement foam pad that I bought years ago, I give it a try. The foam pad was cut so only one side is left, than it was taped in with some 3M Command tape.

The result isn't something amazing, but it does work well on taking the edge off. Overall, now my RP-HTX7 is less harsh (and more enjoyable). Doing this will made the sound slightly muddier than before, but consider that the headphone's mid is used to be relatively weak (compare to its high/bass), this mod works well on redistributing the sound to all range
600smile.gif

Before mod
PMR01.jpg

Pad can be removed by applying little pressure on its four corner, notice the four small hook on the pad.
PMR02.jpg

PMR03.jpg

3M Command tape
PMR04.jpg

PMR05.jpg

One side done
PMR06.jpg

Finished
PMR07.jpg

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 27
why the heck hasn't anyone replied to this yet?! This kind of work and effort should be always applauded, right? Isn't this why we head-fiers here can enjoy better phones with less money spent?

I say good work ClieOS!

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say good work ClieOS!

Thanks. Take a year to get an appreciation is certainly... better than none
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 27
oops! actually I thought it was posted 3/20/2008...

oh well...

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 27
LOL! wow, its a year bump!

but hey... not bad... but then considering that no one else has tried it... no one would be willing to vouch it? =P

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! wow, its a year bump!

but hey... not bad... but then considering that no one else has tried it... no one would be willing to vouch it? =P

yes, i did it...again!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the way my panny's sound.. and i don't have the materials to try it out :p

I got them today and they ARE pretty good for the price point like others have said. Actually they really sparkles with some of my albums, but really not so for others.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 27
I have these cans, but have not tried this mod yet. From what I can see in the pictures, I reckon it should be possible to do this mod without removing the ear pads. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,
morkli.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 27
I've always been interested in the HTx7s, but haven't found too much info on them here. This seems to be the biggest gathering of owners I've seen so far. So how bout it, let's get everybodies impressions of these phones, sound, comfort, everything. I think I might want one of these.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 27
I have a review/comparison on HTX7 vs K81DJ even older than this thread. Link in my signature.

May 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 27
Found this thread via Google, actually. Was looking for replacement pads...

Anyway, I really like their sound signature. Good defined bass, treble isn't too harsh IMO (I'm an oldie @ 36) and they display a good level of detail with all sorts of music. I think I bought them @ JnR last year for $25. One problem though, is that my ear pads have developed cracks all over them from drying out, most likely. Are there replacement pads available anywhere ?

I like the mod btw, but don't think I'd want to change the sound signature.. MIght play around one day just for kicks though.

doug

May 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 27
SS, I think I know where to get them.

Go to Panasonic parts ordering site here, search model 'RP-HTX7' (default by 'Part Description') and you will get a list. The pad should be:
Part #: RFX5697
Part ID: EAR PAD ASSY
Price: $18.56

If you are willing to pay for it, you can order from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back