Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Aug 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #106 of 599
Dynamic drivers improve with burn in more often than not. Getting used to the way a particular IEM sounds is 90% of the "burn in" process IMO.

I'm not sure it ever stops... I do know when going back to other IEMs from the HJE900 is more of a shock than I'm used to with other IEMs. Even when playing around with EQ and giving the two IEMs a frequency response that's equal, the HJE900s maintain their unique sound.

Given their unique signature, I think these more than other IEMs have a presentation that takes some getting used to, until the idiosyncratic presentation becomes familiar enough to be transparent.

For me the mids seem right now, not recessed. I notice that in mp3s from vinyl rips of old music the phones sound balanced to me... But in modern masterings the bass can be too heavy and treble harsher.... I think it's artifacts of dynamic range compression in modern recordings.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #108 of 599
Has anyone heard both these and the etymotic mc5s?

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #109 of 599

Quote:
Has anyone heard both these and the etymotic mc5s?

They would be completely polar opposites in terms of sound signature. Flat, cold, bright, analytical, and bass lite vs V shaped, warm, fun, and with bass impact.

It's unlikely (though certainly not impossible) that a person who likes one would also like the other.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #110 of 599
How, exactly,would you describe the vocals with these IEMs?

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #111 of 599
Hmm, I would describe them as very natural and transparent sounding, but probably somewhat recessed for some people and perhaps a bit on the warmer side. Above all, timbre is spot on IMO; considering I do a bit of my own mixing and recording with vocals, voices sound spot on in that sense for me. But as the sound sig is somewhat U shaped, they don't stand out as much as they do on a mid-centric phone. But I like them just the way the are, as I personally prefer having vocals blend with the rest of the music rather than taking it over. 

So yea, basically a very transparent but slightly subdued presentation of vocals.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #112 of 599
I'm coming from some aging M5's which are on the verge of their long and grueling lifespan (8+ hours a day for almost 2 years).

To my point(s): Can the Pannys be worn over the ear? I kinda got accustomed to wearing 'phones over the ear with the M5's.

Can the dual flanged tips from the M5's be used with the Pannys?

Also, is it possible to buy the removable memory wire things anywhere? I've seen that some manufacturers provide removable ones with their products now.

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #113 of 599

Yes the pannys can be worn over ear, thats how i wear them. They use tips with the larger holes, 
Quote:
I'm coming from some aging M5's which are on the verge of their long and grueling lifespan (8+ hours a day for almost 2 years).

To my point(s): Can the Pannys be worn over the ear? I kinda got accustomed to wearing 'phones over the ear with the M5's.

Can the dual flanged tips from the M5's be used with the Pannys?

Also, is it possible to buy the removable memory wire things anywhere? I've seen that some manufacturers provide removable ones with their products now.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #114 of 599
The pannys have a short cable though so wearing them over the ear will dramatically reduce its cable length. Wearing the CZs straight down I had trouble putting it in my pocket because of the short wire.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #115 of 599
If possible you might want to get sleek audio cables, which are a good deal longer, so you can use them to have a backup cable anyways, or you could just get a cable extender thingy. I personally don't have an issue, since I do most of my listening from my cellphone, which needs rather long headphone adapter anyways.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #116 of 599
I was deciding what to get between this and the RE0. I'm pretty much sure that this'll beat the RE0 in terms of build quality. But what I would be looking for is a bit of clarity and soundstage. I'm pretty unsure as to what my preferred sig is but I want to get the MOST out of my hard-earned money. And yeah, J&R lists these now only for $89, free shipping. That's why I gotta make my decisions quick.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #117 of 599

Quote:
I was deciding what to get between this and the RE0. I'm pretty much sure that this'll beat the RE0 in terms of build quality. But what I would be looking for is a bit of clarity and soundstage. I'm pretty unsure as to what my preferred sig is but I want to get the MOST out of my hard-earned money. And yeah, J&R lists these now only for $89, free shipping. That's why I gotta make my decisions quick.

At US$89, it's worth your while to just grab it.  Never been that low!!!  I got mine at $109 just 2 weeks back!
The main attraction I find is the ability to swap cables, with the cables been one of the weak points of IEMs, especially when you wear them to bed.
The other is the chance to use the Sleek Wireless since it's plug compatible.
I noticed that J&R listed it as temporarily out of stock.  You can still place the order first, and they'll ship it out when available.  Lock in the deal first.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #119 of 599

Quote:
At US$89, it's worth your while to just grab it.  Never been that low!!!  I got mine at $109 just 2 weeks back!
The main attraction I find is the ability to swap cables, with the cables been one of the weak points of IEMs, especially when you wear them to bed.
The other is the chance to use the Sleek Wireless since it's plug compatible.
I noticed that J&R listed it as temporarily out of stock.  You can still place the order first, and they'll ship it out when available.  Lock in the deal first.

Yeah, the pricing's real good. But what bothers me is that how will this fare against a RE0 in terms of bang-for-the-buck-ity? and are these real harsh on the highs? I mean, is it like S4- bright? If that's the case then no-go for me.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #120 of 599
^ I remember there must be some comparisons with the RE0 in the older threads.

From memory the highs were quite similar, both very detailed and extended, if anything it was the RE0 that was a bit more squeaky to my ears. Most noticable differences were bass (RE0 = lean, HJE900 = punchy) and soundstage (RE0 = rather intimate, HJE900 = wider). IMO those who dislike agressive highs would neither find the RE0 nor the HJE900 to their taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back