Panasonic HJE900, Phonak PFE 012, or Visang R03?
Nov 18, 2010 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

etragedy

New Head-Fier

I've been doing a large amount of research here on Head-fi the last couple days in an effort to find a good set of IEM's under $100. I previously owned a pair of cx 300's that only recently gave out on me after 3 years of hard use. I thought they were the best things since sliced bread after upgrading to them from standard issue ipod buds, but apparently there is so much more to be heard!

After reading through lots of reviews and thoroughly/exhaustively examining lJokerl and Clive0S's write ups (awesome job btw guys) I think I've narrowed my choices down to three different IEM's:

Panasonic HJE900 ($89)
Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 012 ($89)
And the Visang R03/Brainwavz m2 ($60)

Due to the cx 300 I am used to a big bass sound, but i would like a crisper/popier more precise bass out of my my new pair. To be honest I'm really just too inexperienced in the field to know exactly what sound I want, so here is what I listen to:

Hip-hop
Alternative rock
Some rap
Techno/house.

My main reason for posting is to see if anyone out there has any experience with 1 or more of these IEM’s. Did I pick good choices given my music preferences? Is there any IEM that anyone feels was overlooked in my quest? What do you feel would be best given my needs?

P.S. I also just ordered s pair of Meelectronics M6 that should be here in a couple days ($25 on Amazon, I thought this was a steal). I got the m6 for gym use so this separate set would be used more for casual/walking/sit down listening.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I only have experience with the HJE900.  They will be in a similar sound region you are used to with the CX-300, but better in every way:  clearer, cleaner bass and trebles, but they do need 60-80 hours on them before they get to their best sound.  

From reviews here, the PFE will be tons cleaner than the CX-300, but they are more known for their details and clean sound, not their bass.  

Also from reviews, the M2 seems to fit in between the HJE900 and PFE.  Read ClieOS's reveiw here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491435/review-brainwavz-m2-beyond-gamma .  It may be your best option, esp considering it's lower price.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Look at my signature....

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 6
you put the hje900 equal to dba-02, both better than w3 and 530??? gotta be kidding me.

edit
I guess I must remember we all hear differently. I would have put the list almost exactly opposite.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
you put the hje900 equal to dba-02, both better than w3 and 530??? gotta be kidding me.

edit
I guess I must remember we all hear differently. I would have put the list almost exactly opposite.

Different ears is a thinking process that everyone should incorporate in there thoughts and opinions. Everytime I post this link as my reference http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243 Rawster states firmly that his list would be different, I respect this simply because it should be. The HJE900 will have it's lovers/bashers/haters/and believers, I concur this IEM is technically advanced and on this list this IEM is above what many people would think. I have seen plenty of reviews showing this IEM stand up to competition. I think what makes or break the earphone or any earphone is if you, and only you like the sound that it puts out. As a product I myself fully stand behind it.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks kmhaynes  for that link, I hadn't seen that yet. I guess as of right now the M2's seem to be the best bet because of their price and the fact that the Pan and Audeo don't seem to offer anything worth $20 more. Anyone have a different opinion?

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what makes or break the earphone or any earphone is if you, and only you like the sound that it puts out. As a product I myself fully stand behind it.

I guess there is no way for me to really decide which one would be best for me because I don't have the ability to listen to these things without ordering them first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back