Panasonic EAH-500
Dec 19, 2007 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently added a pair of Panasonic EAH-500 headphones to my vintage cans collection and have been very pleasantly surprised.
I shan't even bother trying to wax eloquent on the sound signature of these phones as I lack both the technical knowledge and the eloquence but they clamp my head pretty firmly between their closed cell foam pads yet remain comfortable for long periods. These are rapidly becoming my non-IEM can of choice for portable use walking the dog or for easy going snowmobile rides yet, somehow, I can't find much if any information on them.
I have no idea when they date from or any technical data.

Is anyone familiar with this model headphone and can offer some insight?

I didn't expect much from them when I bought them for under $10 on Ebay but have been pleasantly surprised.
I'll be interested to see if they work well with the RSA Hornet when It arrives.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 36
I finally found the USB connecting cord for my digital camera so I thought I'd add some pix of the EAH-500s to give this thread a bump and see if anyone can provide any info on the phones.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 36
Yeah, I had noted a vague resemblance myself but wasn't going to mention it from fear of getting laughed at.
tongue.gif

They are solid hard plastic with foam flats and metal hardwire.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 36
Interesting. We've dissected an EAH-830 isodynamic over at its own thread, but these look to me like a cross between a Grado and an AKG K240. Any idea what's inside? It's obviously a dynamic, but beyond that..?

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 36
Yeah but it seems to be the standard 20-20K graph.
Dunno if it means much.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 36
Would anyone even hazard a guess as to what decade these phones are from?
80s?
90?
These are really quite a nice pair of little phones and I can't believe that an illustrious and knowledgeable crowd such as Head-fi wouldn't know anything about them.
confused.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 36
I have the feeling Technics didn't push their headphone lines very hard. I never saw them at any of the dealers I used to haunt in Atlanta. Turns out Technics were very busy during the late '70s/early '80s, putting out an electret electrostatic, a line of isodynamics and, apparently, this issue of an illicit AKG-Grado hookup.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 36
I've been lusting after a pair of EAH-830s for the vintage collection for some time but have always been well outbid on Epay.
Panasonic cans seem to get even less play than Technics. I'm not sure exactly what the corporate relationship has been over the years but they seem to use the same model number structure.

These cans have me stumped. The graph and logo on the headband look sorta eighties like but the design on the housings themselves looks older.

I'm increasingly pleased with them and they're fast becoming my second most used phones.
They are small housings however and correct placement on the ear is critical.
The metal headband's firm grip ensures they stay put though as a recent all night Call of Duty 4 fragfest on the PS3 proved.
Comfortable too. By the time I blew the game at 6am I'd forgotten I was wearing phones at all.

The foam flats are simply glued to the plastic housings and I'm considering playing with replacing them with some bigger flats or maybe even some bowls.

Any modders have any suggestions and sources for flats and bowls?

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass
I've been lusting after a pair of EAH-830s for the vintage collection for some time but have always been well outbid on Epay.

Don't expend too much enthusiasm trying to get them, since without some major reworking they're a real disappointment sonically, though very interesting technically.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 36
I read your piece on them including the unfavorable verdict on their SQ.
I just like the way they look.

I tend to pick up vintage cans for a bunch of reasons:

- As period pieces representative of a certain design influence.
- As period pieces to see what they sound like (mostly crap)
- As good sounding cans for a variety of purposes. My Sansui SS-100s sound awesome for classical guitar and these EAH-500s are turning into great all rounders for active use.

So, if i found a pair of the Technics at a decent price, I'd prolly pick them up even if I didn't expect much use or quality out of them.
I have some sort of collector's affliction.

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass
My Sansui SS-100s sound awesome for classical guitar..

Say what?

You have the collector-snatched, thus-far unobtainable, strornly-rare, Fostex-built, rilly-sleek Sansui SS-100??

Oh my. You simply must take some time to visit the Orthodynamic Roundup thread and let us know how they perform. Photos would be much appreciated too.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what?

You have the collector-snatched, thus-far unobtainable, strornly-rare, Fostex-built, rilly-sleek Sansui SS-100??

Oh my. You simply must take some time to visit the Orthodynamic Roundup thread and let us know how they perform. Photos would be much appreciated too.

Yup.
The SS-100s are hanging next to my K701s in my profile pic.
Prolly gets the most use out of all my vintage cans.
I'll post some pics to the ortho thread shortly and do my best to give some impressions worth reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back