Panasonic casette players!
Nov 17, 2002 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fred00

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for facts on a Panasonic casette player named RQ-S30.
A buddy of mine was given the thing, and I wonder how old it is and how much it cost new?

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 9
Well...

I have the RQ-S60 from 1993 (which I completely trashed
eek.gif
) and I have an RQ-S75 from late 1993 - 1994...

The S60 cost approx $140, and the RQ-S75... $225, I personally found them to be too bass heavy, with not a lot going on at the top end... the remotes were great, with their graphic EQ... but, to have hardwired earphones that sound THAT bad... hmm

What does the S30 look like, does it have the hardwired remote, metal body, micro thin.....?

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 9
The S30 has metal body, no radio, and it is very thin (about the same thickness as a tape). I doesn't look older than three years I think, but it sounds as if it would be in the same line-up as your machines. It has "S-XBS" and "Train" sound modes. It has also got Dolby NR.

Do you know anything about the Sony WM-EX615 and the WM-EX621 Walkmans. They're in the current Sony line-up. Would be happy to receive some information about how it sounds compared to MDs and CDs.

/Fredrik

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Fred00
The S30 has metal body, no radio, and it is very thin (about the same thickness as a tape). I doesn't look older than three years I think, but it sounds as if it would be in the same line-up as your machines. It has "S-XBS" and "Train" sound modes. It has also got Dolby NR.

Do you know anything about the Sony WM-EX615 and the WM-EX621 Walkmans. They're in the current Sony line-up. Would be happy to receive some information about how it sounds compared to MDs and CDs.

/Fredrik

Same with the two players I have... incredibly thin and without radio... the S75 had a very clever auto lock system where it would only play if you physically touched it... it reacted with your skin in some way, so wouldn't play in your bag / pocket (although you were a bit stuck if you was wearing gloves
wink.gif
)... Dolby B, train, S-XBS and that horrible 'live' mode...

I agree, they really don't look like they're nearly ten years old... and maybe the S30 could be a newer model but with a seemingly similar model #... they sound great with metal tapes and sony earbuds
biggrin.gif

As to the sony players you mention... sorry, I can't help you there... hopefully someone else can though
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Duncan, omg, the S60... that's probably the smallest Panasonic cassette player ever made
biggrin.gif

Thanks to you guys, I found a new download page for (Japanese) Panasonic portable audio manuals
biggrin.gif
Didn't know they're not using mini jack (but one size smaller) on the MJ95 unit anymore *sob*

http://www.panasonic.co.jp/customer/...al/main_1.html

Sepcs:
Frequency response 15Hz-20kHz for all tapes
output: 5+5mW @ 16ohm
maximum size: 108.9x78.8x24.0mm
minimum size: 107.9x77.2x22.9mm
weight: 165g with rechargeable
Battery life: 4 hours (rechargeable), 13:40 (rech. and AA alkaline), among others.

The S30 has that famous 1-button remote (press twice to FF, thrice for REW), can search for one track, has S-XBS and train

There's a "1293" in this mysterious code at the bottom of the first page. Based on what I've seen of Panasonic manuals, I'm guessing the S30 is a 1994 model.

I think they started using the "SX" designation instead of "S" 1995, apparently for a new dual rotor motor (looks like motor with a flywheel for quieter/smoother transport), better anti-rolling, and different frequency response (40Hz-18kHz).

AFAIK Neither Panasonic nor Sony has developed anything new for their cassette players since 1999... only cosmetic changes. The late 80s/early 90s saw some of the most intriguing cassette portables, and I don't think we 've got anything now that'll live up to those days, sound or other things.

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Duncan, omg, the S60... that's probably the smallest Panasonic cassette player ever made
biggrin.gif

I think they started using the "SX" designation instead of "S" 1995, apparently for a new dual rotor motor (looks like motor with a flywheel for quieter/smoother transport), better anti-rolling, and different frequency response (40Hz-18kHz).

You're not wrong leon, it is one helluva small player, but I think that was its undoing in my case... the head twisted, so sound only came out of one side (depending on which side of the tape was playing, and also one of the rollers lost its spring, so it became very unstable... i've still got it now, but I think its beyond repair...

The S75 being bigger and bulkier (and cleverer with its shell lock and auto key lock) has done me proud, still sounds as good as the day I got it... the reference I made up above, about its sound... is obviously only linked in a direct a/b against CD... but on a well recorded metal tape... it was... or should I say IS still pretty darned good
biggrin.gif

Both of these had the 'Twin-Rotor-Motor' that you mention... and also the one button remote... I always wanted the S110... I remember that it looked so cool, but at nearly $300... it should've...

Oh well, always E-Bay...

Nov 18, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
You're not wrong leon, it is one helluva small player, but I think that was its undoing in my case... the head twisted, so sound only came out of one side (depending on which side of the tape was playing, and also one of the rollers lost its spring, so it became very unstable... i've still got it now, but I think its beyond repair...

Oh well, always E-Bay...

Wooooo! I think about half of the SXxx models I had ended up with that same problem, woe is us
tongue.gif

BoardC3, a tape is what we use to seal your mouth shut (or in this context, tie your fingers together)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back