panasonic 570 impressions, not good
Jul 19, 2002 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dinosauract

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I dropped by PCDP two days ago (an entry level Panasonic, a $40 job) and destroyed it. Fortunately I had a spare, a model from 1998 , (231 maybe). So I've been listening to that. It sounded entirely different. The newer model had a very crisp sound, but a bit weak in the bass. The older model had a very warm sound, maybe a little too full in the bass, but much better overall. Until this, I always kind of thought the differences between PCDP's were exagerated. Well, I'm converted. There are big differences, almost as big as the differences among phones.

I found a Panasonic 570 at a good price, and I know its highly regarded , so I bought it. I have to say, so far its disappointing. Soundwise, its not much different than the cheapo newer one that I broke, if anything its grainier, bass is very weak. I'm hoping it needs more break in. If this is one of the best of the current models, I'd hate to hear the bad ones. I'm also a little disappointed with the physical characteristics of the player. I thought that aluminum lid would be cool, but it looks and feels just like plastic, and it scratches VERY easily. If it doesn't get any better, I'm going to return it and just by another cheapie.

Many people say this is the best recent model for headphone out. Are there any other models I should try? Will this thing get better with break-in?

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 17
If you don't like it, your probably out of luck. I found the 570 to sound much better then my previous panasonic and the build quality is nice. All the new players are cheapy plastic with even worse headphone outs... of course the sound out of my 1990 d555 destroys the 570 hehe.

Biggie.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Many people say this is the best recent model for headphone out

Actually, most accolades for this PCDP are for the quality of its line-out, not the headphone out.

If you are looking for PCDP use without an amp, you need to look at the old Sony's, or a Lennox CD-87.

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Actually, most accolades for this PCDP are for the quality of its line-out, not the headphone out.

I don't think so. The lineout isn't any better then any of the new sonys, but the headphone out is...

I think this player gets lots of recommendation because it has nice build, good battery life, good price, ok headphone out and decent lineout. The eq is totally garbage though.

Biggie.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 17
biggrin.gif
i think 570 is a good sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
actually, I have to agree. This player is known for it LINE out.

Wll its lineout isn't that great so someone messed up...
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Jul 22, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Well I'm comparing it to the lineout of old sonys and new sonys and I dont see anything special about it... kinda bright though.

Overall it is a nice player, good build, good battery life, nice to look at, its good for on the go listening, but if you are looking at lineout only you can do better..

Biggie.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Thought I should update my post. After about 50 hours of use, the 570 seems to have improved quite a bit (I'm only using the headphone out). Sound is nicely detailed and clear, bass is deep and tight but a little lean, a good match for the Senn 497's.

Battery life using the add-on 2-AA pack is very good. I'm still on the oringinal batteries, although the're nearing the end. Volume output seems very capable, a setting of six (out of 10) on the dial drives the 497's to a loud volume in a fairly noisy environment.

The aluminum lid is scratch-prone, but the slim profile and good looks of the unit kind of balance that out.

I guess the best endorsement I can give the unit is the fact that that I bought two more (at $65.02 each) to have on-hand as the newer crop of players don't seem too promising.

Jul 26, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg

Which pcdp's lineout would you recommend?

Older sonys like d-555 (they arn't very portable though). I've read the d-303 and d-515 have nice lineouts as well. I have also heard the lineout from one of the newer sony models and it sounded similar to the ct570 but I can't give you any A/B comparisons. Also the ct780's lineout sounds similar.

Biggie.

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 17
I have been using the 570+TAH at work for a number of months and it has performed very well. I use the line out and AC power for both the 570 & TAH. I did not that when using the stock rechargeable batteries that it is a good idea to use the supplemental pack as well. Otherwise the life seemed very short.

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 17
I've always been under the impression that the CT570 was highly recommended for its jack-out, not line-out. Unlike most new players, it has a pretty powerful internal amp and doesn't clip or distort at high volume. It's only rated at 9+9mW but it does the job.

kerelybonto

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 17
I agree that the headphone out of the CT570 is much much better than most other recent players, particularly those by Sony, and is often the reason people buy this player. That is why I bought this player, back in the days when I didn't have a portable amp. However, it still does a wonderful job out of the line out, which I use with my CMOY and Corda. If you already have a portable amp, though, there are other PCDP's out there that can do an equally good or better job from the line out. I believe many Sony's have excellent line outs, even their more recent models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back