Panasonic 470 vs 570
Aug 7, 2002 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sil0nt

Head-Fier
My PCDP is an SL-CT470. It is about 3 years old now, and I need a second PCDP. The 470 suits my needs exactly, so I am thinking that maybe I should just get another one.

What is the difference between the one I have and the 570? I remember when I bought the 470 the 570 was more expensive, and I recall not needing whatever it had to offer. For some reason, I cannot find any information to clearly show the difference between the two.

Also, I see a lot of people who love their vintage Sony PCDP's. What do people think about the late 90's model Panasonic's (470 & 570) vs the early 90's model Sony's (Z555, D905, D777, etc)?

Thanks,
brian

Aug 8, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 16
The 570's sound sucks imo compared to the d555. Of course the d555 is hardly portable, it ways a ton, has no antiskip and very little battery life...

Biggie.

Aug 8, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 16
I have a Sony C333-ES for home listening, so portability is my main concern. Battery life isnt a big concern, though. I only get about 8 hours out of my 470 with the stock rechargable AAA's, and that is perfectly fine with me.

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 16
sil0nt: There are three versions of the SL-CT570(A) (A = blue version) - the japanese/(asian?) with additional optical out and fancy remote, the european with additional optical out and standard remote and the american with standard remote but without optical out. Does the SL-CT470 have a remote and a line out? Maybe one of these features makes the difference...

In addition, I've compared quite a lot of recent pcdps to my old Sanyo CPD-55A, lately, and if the same goes for the old Sonys, modern pcps just suck in comparision, because of their grainy and bodyless sound. You might be lucky with the Philips 51x(x)-series (last x could be for european models...), though. Kenchi has just bought one and seems quite happy...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 16
I have read that the 570 and the 470 have identical sound.

Biggie.

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 16
The 570 goes new for about 115 shipped... Is there a better _portable_ CDP on the market for the money? I understand that many older Sony's sound ten times better, but I can't really take them anywhere.

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 16
I did some poking around on Panasonic's website, and I found the manuals for the PCDP's. I have only found two important differences.

The SL-CT470 has two modes of ESP: Off and 40sec. The SL-CT570 has three modes of ESP: Off, 10sec, and 40sec. The 10sec mode does not compress the sound stream, whereas the 40sec modes do compress.

Also, the SL-CT570 comes with the remote as a standard option. The SL-CT470 comes in a different model (SL-CT476J) that has the remote and a Jogger bag. So with all that, I would say that the 570 is a bit better. The ability to have a non-compromising ESP mode is pretty valuable.

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 16
You might as well buy one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 16
I have both the 470 and the Japanese version 570. I hear little if any difference in the sound between the two via the line out. The 570 has the metal case (I like that), the remote (I never use it), the optical out (ditto), a battery charge display (I do like that), and two levels of anti-skip (I don't use either).

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 16
One of the nice things about the 570 is that it has a very decent line out. The headphone jack isn't bad, but the sound is better from the line out.

The 10 second antiskip works nicely and does not degrade the sound (not that I can tell anyway).

The form is nice: pretty durn small! It's very portable, gets very good battery life (when the additional battery tube is attached, I've been able to go ~ 40 hours or so). Sounds very good to my ears. I rodered one eariler this year and was able to find it for ~ $80 shipped. If you can't find any deals on the 570, might also want to check out the Pana SL-SW895. It's one of their Shockwave series. Has the same specs at the 570 (also has a line out, same wattage output, same range, etc.), but is also ruggedized and water resistant. You can find it for ~ $120 at some places online.

Someone did a review of the 570 and SL-SW895 a while ago so search the archives. From what my feeble brain remembers, I don't believe there was a major difference in sound between the two units.

Good luck!
Bruce

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 16
I won mine off ebay for $61..

Biggie.

Aug 9, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 16
silOnt,

You might want to check out a previous post I placed on 7/24: "Source of Brand New panasonic sl-ct570"

Tried to reach Dinosaur_act; no luck after requesting jude to relay msg's to (him?)...

Maureen at panasonic informed me that the price was still $84.95, several days after d_a's post.

Would be very interested in a somewhat more expansive opinion of JMT re: original title of this thread; i.e., 470 v,570. Todd(?) of Headroom is of the opinion that the 470, (no color diff. cited), is definitely superior to the 570. He feels the 470 is _________. (I'll fill this in later...)

Aug 9, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 16
aushadi -

didn't know you were looking for me. i didn't see any posts or get any pm's.

When I ordered mine, I didn't speak with Maureen, someone else answered the phone. I did speak with Maureen the first time I had called.

I did ask the person to confirm that these units were new, and she said that they can't sell them as "new", as they had been in dealer stock, but that the units were unopened in the original packaging. Basically saying they are new without using the word.

When my units came, the invoice listed $84.95 as the price, but a "customer allowance" of $19.93 per unit lowered the price to $65.02 each, as I had been quoted. The packaging and the units looked totally new.

I don't really know what other info I can give you, but feel free to post back to me if I can help any further.

I would also be interested in why the 470 might be considered superior to the 570. I don't believe the 470 has the uncompressed anti-shock, which to me is a big drawback. The only other difference I can think of with any effect on the sound would be the in-line remote of the 570. I could definitely see that causing some degradation, but I don't use it. Perhaps, there is something different electronically with the 570 making it remote-capable or something which could degrade the sound?

Aug 9, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 16
I bought my 570 for about $80 and I think it sounds good enough for me and its aluminum lid makes it at least look and feel more sturdy. I don't remember where I bought it, but I found one good price here.

SL-CT 570

John
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back