Panamax, PS Audio, and BrickWall: Owner review???
Apr 18, 2004 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Hi guys, I live in an area where the power is terrible. I constantly get a hum/buzz out of my speakers due to power issues (by reversing the phase or switching outlets seems to rectify the situation from time to time).

Anyway, I've been looking at:

PS Audio Director 4.7
Panamax 5510 ACRegenerator
BrickWall 8 outlet for Audio Use

Do you guys have any opinions any of these products (or similar ones)? I think the BrickWall will do the trick but it doesn't come with 12V power trigger for my amps.

Thanks!

-Trogdor

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 6
I think most people confuse the Brickwalls for something that they are not.

They are first and foremost a surge protector, and one of the best out there.

While they do have some noise filtering capabilities. They are not in any way shape or form, an active power conditioner.

And looking at the innards of the Panamax 5510 AC"Regenerator" had me wondering if it actually doing to the level that PS Audio does.

I personally own two BrickWall's and a PS Audio P300 power plant. I found the Brickwalls to be better than nothing, but if your power is not really really bad, Brickwalls DO limit the soundstage and dynamics of amps, especially high current ones.

So with the Brickwalls it really is a matter of choosing your priorities, noise levels, sound quality, peace of mind?

-Ed

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I think most people confuse the Brickwalls for something that they are not.

They are first and foremost a surge protector, and one of the best out there.

While they do have some noise filtering capabilities. They are not in any way shape or form, an active power conditioner.

-Ed

Well, you are right, they are mostly a surge protector. I have not compared the other two, but replacing a Monster HTS-2000 (not a regenerator, but a surge protector, etc.) with a Brickwall eliminated the hum I was getting thru my system most noticably from a Leviton auto-fader, but low level even with that off. I leave my power amp on all the time, and with the Monster, you could always hear crap out of the tweeters if you put your ear up close with nothing else in the system powered up. Brickwall... dead silent. YMMV, however. BTW, the Brickwalls are made by a company called ZeroSurge.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Well, you are right, they are mostly a surge protector. I have not compared the other two, but replacing a Monster HTS-2000 (not a regenerator, but a surge protector, etc.) with a Brickwall eliminated the hum I was getting thru my system most noticably from a Leviton auto-fader, but low level even with that off. I leave my power amp on all the time, and with the Monster, you could always hear crap out of the tweeters if you put your ear up close with nothing else in the system powered up. Brickwall... dead silent. YMMV, however. BTW, the Brickwalls are made by a company called ZeroSurge.

The Brickwall company is actually called Price Wheeler. Weird. Or maybe their main distributer?

-Ed

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I had the Panamax unit and found it to limit soundstage and reduce the bandwith of the sound. Did not like the unit at all.

I now have several PS Audio Ultimate Outlets (which are the components inside the Power Director) and have found them to be extremely neutral, letting all of the music come through and not constricting the sound in any way. I live in a NYC apartment (really dirty power) and they also lower the noise floor considerably, also resulting in improved sound.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back