Pana SL-CT700, Any Opinion/Review?
Nov 21, 2002 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gortsby

New Head-Fier
Thinking about to buy the CD/MP3 PCDP as source for a portable META42. Read that Tina does not like the Sl-CT 800. Any suggestion or opinion about the SL-CT700?
confused.gif
It has a line out for the version available here. Is it a suitable portable source for the portable META42?
confused.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 9
It's possible that they're the same, especially because the CT700's shorter battery life is (likely) because it comes with Ni-Cd rechargeables (and not Ni-MH). But we don't know... unless you want to buy one and try it out for all the Head-Fiers out there
biggrin.gif

It used to be that the cheaper ones sound beefier, juicier - pardon my sexually explicit language - but the rule hasn't been generally true for ages. I was literally heartbroken when I heard the SX270 a couple years ago *sob sob*

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 9
And not all expensive ones sound good, either. Sony's most expensive model actually sounds worse out of its headphone jack than their PCDPs that are one or two steps below the 'top of the line'. By contrast, Panasonic's top-of-the-line model sounds relatively clear, as far as current-model PCDPs go - but their step-down models sound somewhat grainy. And note that I'm talking about the quality of the sound, NOT the quantity of the sound.

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 9
not allowed to test if the CT700 can play MP3 in CDR in the shop. not allowed to listen how it sounds in the shop. what can i do? buying a PCDP without ever listening to it? any head-fier can give me more comments on the CT700?

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Not to sprinkle salt on your wounds (not a standard idiom I know), but if you really want to try it out, it might make sense to buy it, then if you don't like it, sell it on eBay or some other place. Don't grill yourself with all the desperation
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, for example, Tina heard the CT800 in store, but got very different observations than when she heard it outside the store. Also remember that despite someone's opinions, it might perform very well to your ears and your headphones.

I have a '96 model panasonic CDP that I keep bringing up (SL-S270, Japanese spec)... I bought it without any knowledge, but it's still my favorite after 5 years, and $2000 or so in headphone purchases. Good things can happen from risk-taking, you see
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 9
bringing back a thread from the dead.

I recently had the chance to listen to CT-800 and the CT-790 back to back in a store here. Tested thru headphone out playing both mp3 (for CT-800 only) and CDs, both players provide the same sound quality. I think CT-700 will be the same also.

Given the recent review of how the CT-790 performs, I think you can expect the CT-800 to be about the same.

Dec 12, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi all. Have bought the Pana CT570 instead last night. as I am waiting for a protable meta42, might as well buy a better source at the cost of not able to listening to MP3 in CD-ROM.

You guys are lucky there in the US. People in my place has a general preference not to buy second hand merchandise. So one has to take a deep cut to sell things out at the second hand market. Sometimes, you simply cannot sell your stuff in the market because of the poor liquidity.

Thanks for all head-fiers that I am lucky enough to know about the ct570. So far is quite happy with it, though I only listened to it for one to two hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back