Paired with a Beta 22 - do I NEED a Buffalo 32?
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vergex2

100+ Head-Fier
Is it justifiable to pay ~$700 more over say, what I've been looking at right now - the Gamma 2 (under 400)? Exaggeration, hype and everything aside - is it worth it to pay substantially more and wait longer just for the superior DAC?

The Beta 22 is the triple channel, active ground version, if anyone is interested.

What about DIYing it? How much would it cost (assuming the cheapest possible enclosure that works?) What other parts do I need to source that isn't provided with the kit (assume that I also grab the power supply kit). Is it difficult? I can find some help through frirends and family, some of which are quite experienced in electronics.

I definitely don't want to spend that much, and I probably don't even have enough for a Buffalo 32 (unless I can DIY) after a Beta 22. It'd also be great if I could save it on headphones and A/Bing cables to see if I can really discern a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Personally I would. I mean come on, you are getting a very, very good amp. Might as well opt for a very, very good DAC 
biggrin.gif
 I would kill for a Buffalo 32 
ph34r.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Knowing what I know now, I would build the Buffalo or Gamma first and let the amp wait 'till later.

Why is that? Please elaborate.

And I'll probably get them both commissioned from an experienced builder - I do plan to do some smaller DIY projects but it would be too much of a risk to botch such expensive projects.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 10
What are you intending to drive with that setup?

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Ah, yes, you'll want to budget at least 2000 each for source and amp.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Because the best amp on the planet will not make a bad source better.
Team Source First FTW.

and the best source in the world won't make the sound better if you're just gonna stick a crappy amp in front of it.
imo, sources have a steeper price/performance slope than a amplifier, so the moneys better spent on an amp first.

If it were me, the only reason I would choose to go with a Buffalo32 over the gamma2 is if I wanted the balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back