Pages are breaking in IE8 on Windows 7 64 bit
Jun 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mikemalter

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and IE8 (32-bit) and I have noticed that now everytime I come into the site and read threads that IE crashes multiple times.

I started noticing it a lot this last weekend.  It happened at least three times on the same page (Woo owners unite thread), and on most pages IE8 crashes several times. 

This happens if I scroll the page while it is opening.  If I wait until the entire page is loaded, it will not break.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Best and easiest solution: Stop using IE.

My favorite browser is Chrome, which so far has worked almost flawlessly with the new forum. I put Opera on the family computers because my mom likes the interface, and because I don't want them using IE if possible. It's caused several problems now and then, but looks like a great browser. Then there's Firefox, of course. I used to love it, but it's not fast enough anymore. Especially not with the necessary third-party plugins.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of the problems people are having with the forum are issues with specific browsers and computer setups, because I haven't seen many widespread issues affecting all users of a browser. Switching to a different browser might clear it up.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 5

I am not going to install new software and learn a new UI because these people can't release software that won't run on a browser with an 85% market share.

My take is different than yours, I have read in a lot of posts that people with IE are complaining about the pages breaking their browser.  Why isn't that being addressed?

This web site is the only site that breaks my browser, so it actually the best and easiest solution is for these people to stop telling their user base to change their browsers and fix their software. 

I develop browser based software for a living, and telling users to change their browsers because the product breakes it is not acceptable by any standard.

Quote:
Best and easiest solution: Stop using IE.

My favorite browser is Chrome, which so far has worked almost flawlessly with the new forum. I put Opera on the family computers because my mom likes the interface, and because I don't want them using IE if possible. It's caused several problems now and then, but looks like a great browser. Then there's Firefox, of course. I used to love it, but it's not fast enough anymore. Especially not with the necessary third-party plugins.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of the problems people are having with the forum are issues with specific browsers and computer setups, because I haven't seen many widespread issues affecting all users of a browser. Switching to a different browser might clear it it.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This web site is the only site that breaks my browser, so it actually the best and easiest solution is for these people to stop telling their user base to change their browsers and fix their software. 

This website is the only site that breaks a lot of browsers. A lot of different people's browsers with different setups and different browsers. Nowhere did I imply that they shouldn't fix the issues. I did imply, however, that because there are lots of different problems with no single cause or target demographic, it will take time to fix it, and that a short-run solution of switching browsers may work for you. Don't get hostile.

IE sucks anyway, so maybe the forum's doing you a favor 
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I am not going to install new software and learn a new UI because these people can't release software that won't run on a browser with an 85% market share.

This is a good point, however IE has a way of not following web standards which makes it harder to develop for. However I can see you develop web software, so I would assume you'd be familiar with this.

But, that said, the new site does need a lot of work. So far Firefox is the only browser where I can both view pages correctly and send PM's, which sucks because I use Chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back