Pads for the Grado cans
May 21, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 25
This thread by gsferrari has a lot of information on the different options. Maybe that will help. I'm debating between the options myself right now.....
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87932

Ant

May 21, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 25
The modded Senn 414 pads offer the best balance of comfort and sound but the flat pads sound enough better that I endure them being less comfortable. I haven't tried C-Pads yet but they seem like they might be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, they also cost more than I paid for my headphones.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiojoe1
I hear many of you guys talk about different pads for the grados. Where are all of you finding these diff pads?? And which ones provide the most balance between sound quality and comfort.

May 21, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 25
What Grado cans are you all using? I've got some 225s right now and for me, the flat pads really kinda muffled my high end detail, I really didn't like it all that much (however hard I tried to
smily_headphones1.gif
). On the other hand it did greatly improve the bass response and I did like that. I have yet to try the 414 pads, but I'm actually pretty satisfied with the bowls.

From what I gather, you really need the flats to tame the shrill highs of the 325's and up, but personally I find the detail of my 225s+bowls to good to pass up for a little better bass response
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 25
414 are must-have pads in my opinion, because they cost next to nothing and are quite comfy and sound a bit different. for the small price it's worth it to have the extra variety

May 21, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 25
I have SR-80's. If I had to use the bowls I would probably never listen to them again. No bass, sharp, shrill highs and VERY uncomfortable. Oh well, to each his own. Differences make life interesting.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
What Grado cans are you all using?

May 21, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
I have SR-80's. If I had to use the bowls I would probably never listen to them again. No bass, sharp, shrill highs and VERY uncomfortable. Oh well, to each his own. Differences make life interesting.

biggrin.gif

So weird. Last week, I said the same and a guy replied saying that his were very bassy so my source couldn't be good enough.

May 21, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I wander how long have you had them.

My Sr80 (3 yrs old, using it most of the time), great high, not harsh at all (it was harsh for the 1st 6month!), bass really has a nice nice extension and has power as well. compare to my new SR325i I don't know what to think....I prefer Sr80 better. but I know in 6month when the Sr325i gets enough current driving through them, they will def sound better than SR80...oh ..the wait!!!...hate that.
orphsmile.gif

May 21, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Look for HD-414 pads, n°19545. Becareful, there are different types of Hd-414 ("sl", "-2" ...). Look for 19545, nothing else. Moreover, they are relica, so you'll have to wait a bit.

If you want to mod them, you should cut a hole of the same size of the rear hole.
hd414pad24zv.jpg

But don't cut a hole larger than in the upper picture, it is useless.
hd414pad14bl.jpg

May 22, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 25
please ppl burn your grado in, bowls are great depends on how you ware your cans you can get different base level out of it
smily_headphones1.gif

patience, patience, and more patience and you will be rewarded, flat pads/senn pads are the way out and we all know easy way leads to the dark side ...therefore using flat pads will lead you down the path of the dark side
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Black version = Yellow version + black dye
wink.gif

Yeah, I can just imagine after hours of listening to my 225s when all of a sudden I feel this black tar-like substance dripping into my ears. Yuck.

May 22, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 25
It's all subjective of course. I am the third owner of my Grado's and they have been my primary headphones for nearly a year, so they are plenty burned in. I have re-tried the bowls several times but to my ears they just plain suck.
wink.gif
They fit my ear circumaurally and if I tried to wear them any other way they would move out of the realm of unbelievably uncomfortable to a type of S&M torture device. If ignorance is bliss then I will remain blissfully ignorant of the joys of the Grado bowl pad.

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
please ppl burn your grado in, bowls are great depends on how you ware your cans you can get different base level out of it
smily_headphones1.gif

patience, patience, and more patience and you will be rewarded, flat pads/senn pads are the way out and we all know easy way leads to the dark side ...therefore using flat pads will lead you down the path of the dark side
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back