Padrolling Beyerdynamic MMX 300 didn't go well
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Barashka

New Head-Fier
Hello,
So I moved onto Beyerdynamic MMX 300 .. and nearly perfectly happy with it, except I previously found Brainwavz Hybrid pads super comfy and wanted to try here.
(I'm really aiming for more comfy to wear 8+ hours a day ... and add mids if possible without sacrificing base or detail, but nothing seems to do that)

I bought XL .. maybe that was the problem.
While headphones got comfier, they also lost some a lot of intensity and details ...
If I press them against my head a touch, I feel like I get some of that back, but my ears start touching the headphone again.

What's going on? Maybe poor seal because of XL? Maybe it's the extra foam on the XL pads and I should try to cut it?
What do you recommend? Is it worth trying non XL/standard version? Or bite the bullet and go for something like Dekoni Elite Hybrid?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 5
While I've never treid anything from Dekoni or or Brainwavz, I've got a bit of an ear-pad problem at home and have many sets of various spare OEM pads of all shapes, sizes and materials that I use for modding and pad rolling.
Nothing I've tried sounds good on a Beyerdynamic, other than another Beyerdynamic ear pad, and even then there are some 'bad' combinations.

I think the only time a non Beyer pad sounded OK to me, was a Philips SHP2000 earpad on a vintage DT990, and that wasn't without it's problems.
My favourite Beyerdynamic pads are old, worn in velours. New velour pads are too trebly.

Overall, I've found Beyerdynamics to be the least forgiving with pad-rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back