PA2V2 vs Go-vibe
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

smeerkaas

500+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about buying an dt880 and an small entry amp to go with it.

the 2 listed seem to be very popular so i'd like to know which one you will choose.

the PA2V2 costs $56 new (without adapter)
the Go-vibe usually goes for $100 used (with opamp 8620)

Is the difference worth it? Is opamp 8620 a good choice or would an other (cheaper) opamp also get a desirable effect.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 23
[size=small]I have both amps. Plus my Go-Vibe has the 8620 in it. I use the Go-Vibe to drive my HD-580's. I'm not an audiophile so I'll just simply say the Go-Vibe sounds better with the 300 ohm HD-580's. I primarily use the PA2V2 to power either my KSC-75's or my MS-1's. Battery life is great on both amps and both have their strengths but not owning the DT-880's I can't really say which would be a better choice. My hunch is a Go-Vibe with an 8620 in it.[/size]

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 23
I hate to sound like a broken record, but use the Search function. There are already a number of threads at Head-Fi devoted to comparing these two amps, and even more discussing their individual attributes.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
doesn't anyone have anything to say about this?

i know i should use the search button but it's not really working for me at the moment

I already know, perhaps you should read the entire topic.

This question must be asked so many times, no one is willing to comment on this

anyway, i'm on another computer now and the search function is working properly, still I haven't found anything about he synergy between the dt880 and real budget amps (only more expensive amps)

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 23
I owned both amps for a time, bu my experience is limited to IEMs. I liked the sound of the Go-Vibe by an extremely small margin. But I LOVED the rechargeable batterires and the outstanding battery life of the PA2v2. These two factors made me choose the PA2v2.

Ultimately, I decided against the whole amp setup all together.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 23
I have a PA2v2 and DT-880.

Imo the Pa2v2 will not make you happy driving the 880...not enough power.

I've been using my PA2v2 with my Zen Vision:M and K-240s. The Zen has so much power that the difference between amping it with PA2v2 and straight out of the ZVM is not that big.

The 880 is a power hog. My Woo Audio 3 is what I use with my 880 which sounds beautiful with power to spare.

I'm wanting to try an AE1 with my 880...ka-ching
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 23
i'm on a budget here

perhaps i will upgrade the amp in the future but the headphone alone is already a large purchase for me (college student)

i would prefer a portable amp so i can also use it with my ipod and um1

*edit, I just looked into the Woo audio 3 and found out that it is a tube amp. That's way over budget

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

I already know, perhaps you should read the entire topic.

I did read your entire first post my sarcastic friend. The search function works just fine as you've subsequently discovered. Sometimes the posts from people who expect others to do their homework for them become a bit tiring. If you truly were having a problem then I apologize, but I've seen SO many people post crap like "The search function doesn't work for me. What's better, the MS1 or the SR60?" Usually it's because they're just too damned lazy to sift through the information themselves.

Quote:

This question must be asked so many times, no one is willing to comment on this

This is probably the case. The Go-Vibe and PA2V2 have been discussed EXTENSIVELY at Head-Fi. They're both extremely popular portable amps and each has a dedicated following.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 23
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PA2V2 is powered by 3v, and the Go-Vibe by 9v. Three volts is simply too little for higher impedance headphones like DT880, and will result in distortion with anything approaching serious dynamics and/or volume settings. Go for the go-vibe. As others have stated, the DT880 is a power hog and even 9v powered amps are a bit borderline IMO.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 23
@ dpippel

the search function really didn't work for me. I was at school and those computers often act very strangely.

Sorry for my sarcasm, I just got home from school after a long day and immediatly had to get going studying for my examinations (dunno if that's a correct translation)

but never mind, it works on my laptop.

anyway, i'd like to thank evryone for their input. Guess i will be going with a 9v design

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

anyway, i'd like to thank evryone for their input. Guess i will be going with a 9v design

Good choice IMO... someone will probably say the PA2V2 drives their DT880s or HD580s fine, but it's really intended for Grados and other lower impedance headphones.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 23
I didn't like my AD8397 Go-Vibe 4 too much. A bit too dry and lacking fullness, and not so refined. My Shellbrook Mini Head is much better (more refined, more transparent, more full).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back