PA2V2 vs Go-vibe
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 23
Sorry I can't comment directly on the 880, but I have tested the PA2V2 with the HD580s and I can tell you that at 300ohms, they were a little too power hungry to be driven accurately. Through the PA2V2, the bass sounded fuzzy and distorted at moderately high volumes. Gary's design runs of 2AAs and and is fantastic for lower impedence cans (up to 300ohms) which it was desinged for ASAIK. It'll get great battery life with your UM1s and my guess that at 250ohms your 880s will probably be just fine, but a comment from someone who has had direct experience with the combo could definitely settle this... For my setup, the PA2V2 has been a great little amp.

EDIT: My setup is an E2c and a Beyer 770/80ohms, somehow fogot that in my speil, s-ch-peel, whatever

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Good choice IMO... someone will probably say the PA2V2 drives their HD580s fine, .

That would be my job then
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
but it's really intended for Grados and other lower impedance headphones.

Weeeeell as I have said elsewhere I find the PA2V2 to struggle more with the 120ohm AKG K501s than with the 300 ohm 580s but then again few amps I have owned have ever driven them that well.

As for 9V vs 3V I shall only say one thing - the Bumble Bee.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Quote:

Originally Posted by [fewtch
Good choice IMO... someone will probably say the PA2V2 drives their HD580s fine

That would be my job then
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I know this is going to be redundant, but unless somehow our PA2V2s are different (or perhaps your're talking about Pa2^2?), I can assure you that at modertaly loud levels on bass heavy tracks there was and unmistakable and significant distortion when using the HD 580s. But I'm talking SERIOUS bass, so perhaps it's our selection of music that differs...?

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Sorry, I know this is going to be redundant, but unless somehow our PA2V2s are different (or perhaps your're talking about Pa2^2?), I can assure you that at modertaly loud levels on bass heavy tracks there was and unmistakable and significant distortion when using the HD 580s. But I'm talking SERIOUS bass, so perhaps it's our selection of music that differs...?

If you can tell me some of your favourite bassy tracks I can try them myself. I didnt find the distortion that you speak of but it may depend on how we define some terms such as loud - my loud may be quieter than your loud - or maybe my hearing is less critical - possible as I am pretty old - or it is our choices of music - I generally listen to Classical Music or older Rock but not heavy metal or RAP or stuff with what you call *serious* bass except for some Van Der Graaf Generator which does have some heavy bass lines.

In any case I also stand by my (personal) opinion based on what I listen to and how I listen to it - but cant dispute that you hear what you hear. Life would be dull if we all felt the same.

Cheers.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
If you can tell me some of your favourite bassy tracks I can try them myself. I didnt find the distortion that you speak of but it may depend on how we define some terms such as loud - my loud may be quieter than your loud - or maybe my hearing is less critical - possible as I am pretty old - or it is our choices of music - I generally listen to Classical Music or older Rock but not heavy metal or RAP or stuff with what you call *serious* bass except for some Van Der Graaf Generator which does have some heavy bass lines.

In any case I also stand by my (personal) opinion based on what I listen to and how I listen to it - but cant dispute that you hear what you hear. Life would be dull if we all felt the same.

Cheers.

I thought at first that you may simply have confused the amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, then I'd imagine it has eveything to do with the music and the volume. Any decently produced drum and bass, jungle or hip-hop ought to have the kind of bass I am talking about (try something by Jay Dee/J-Dilla, almost all of his stuff has really clean dynamic production). I have also had similar 'fuzzy' distortion (not hardcore clipping) when I have used IEMs with the Pa2V2 turned up near its max volume. My guess is that you could reporduce the problems I was having with a 'test tone CD', playing some of those really LOW tones. For a lot of rock, the distorted bass I was hearing might actually improve the sound, if you like that grungy warm distorted rock. Here's to the hope that you don't find any problems
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
IOk, then I'd imagine it has eveything to do with the music and the volume. ... I have also had similar 'fuzzy' distortion (not hardcore clipping) when I have used IEMs with the Pa2V2 turned up near its max volume.

I will happily take your word for it, I doubt that Jethro Tull has a similar kind of bass emphasis
biggrin.gif
and either your IEMs are incredibly hard to drive or you like your music seriously loud
biggrin.gif
. I find the PA2v2 to be loud at 60% into the 990s (250 ohm).

Cheers

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 23
The PA2v2 can drive hd580's to high enough volumes, but the go-vibe still whoops it in sq. The difference isn't that big, but noticable.

With that said I would get the pa2v2 still for the price.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #23 of 23
The PA2V2 is a great amp in a tiny package at a fantastic price, I don't think you'll be disapointed. Damn, Gary oughta be paying me for all my work, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back