PA2v2 or Little Dot Micro+ for my HD595
Mar 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kdu

New Head-Fier
This is my first amp purchase ever, so I don't want to take a big step and spend 100+ for an amp. My HD595s (50 ohms) are coming in tomorrow and was wondering which of two would be a better fitting amp since the costs are $60 for either one.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html
http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...sp?TID=22&PN=1

If there are any other amps there that would perform better for a HD595 are similar in pricing, feel free to let me know!

oh and it'll be feeding off of my audigy2zs lineout port

~thanks

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm rather partial to the Little Dot amps myself. I used to have a Little Dot Micro (which I sold when I got a Little Dot Micro+; should arrive any day now) and the sound was very neutral, clear, and transparent.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm a newbie myself and have been surfing this site for only a week or so. I have a Zen Vision M on order (got the Crutchfield $50 disount code off this site), and have just won an auction for the HD-595 on eBay.

I purchased the 595 based on the good reviews on this and other sites, and for its 50 ohm impedance which means that it should run fine off the Zen or my laptop wihout additional amplification.

So, I'm wondering myself why I might need an amp? If I do, I'm really intrigued by the Xin Super Mini, but it's not clear that I'll need one.

Please be kind, this is my first post here
smily_headphones1.gif

Radu

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 19
i know nothing about the little dot micro+, but i've read countless posts on the PA2V2, many of which give it high praise.

i think it depends on what you like. the PA2v2 has been said to impart some extra bass to your sound. that might be OK if you're a bass fan, whereas if you're looking for complete neutrality it could be said that it wouldn't be your best option.

personally, i haven't had any experience w/ the PA2v2 but would endorse the product as i've corresponded w/ Gary (who makes the amp) and found him to be an extremely nice guy.
biggrin.gif

Edit: raduray, welcome to Head-Fi. you've got a head start already on the spending that seems to occur as a result of interest in this site
smily_headphones1.gif
lol if you're here for long you'll see what i'm talking about. as far as needing an amp, you're right. the 595 should do fine straight out of a DAP, but has been said to be appreciative of amplification. just because a can has low impedence doesn't mean it will sound equally as good w/o an amp. and if you're anything like a lot of members, you'll soon be curious as to whether it might sound better amplified. oh yeah, and let me be the first to say... Sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 19
I would like to suggest you checking the impedance. PA2V2 can not fully drive HD650. If 595 is easier it may do it. If you can call the guy who makes little dot micro+, the total price including shipping should be cheaper than PA2V2, and its quality should be far better than PA2V2. I expect it to be better than total bithead and close to HR micro. Anyone who can contribute to this comparation?

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 19
Xin's SuperMini-3 is an excellent amp. Personally I haven't even heard its 100% potential yet (was limited by source for a long time, then by cable until just this past Monday), but SQ aside it's an incredible feat of engineering. Four jumpers that adjust four features (DC boost, crossfeed, etc), its size makes it "ULTRAportable," and it gives long battery life, especially on the newest op-amp batch (Xin's first batch had the AD8397 which gives shorter battery life but supplies more power, the current batch runs on AD822).

It was my first amp, I decided to bite on a $200 amp right away and skip over cheaper amps, and I'm glad I did.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid
I would like to suggest you checking the impedance. PA2V2 can not fully drive HD650.

I do not know about the 650s as such but my PA2V2 can easily drive my 250 - 300 ohm headphones. I am running my DT990s with it right now and I use it happily with my 300 ohm HD580s but YMMV..

Quote:

...little dot micro+...cheap...and its quality should be far better than PA2V2.

I dont really see how you can you make that judgement - have you owned both? - I have seen the LD micro+ and its specs, and my first impressions is that it looks very interesting and is pretty cheap i.e a paltry $59 as opposed to the whopping $60 you have to pay for the PA2V2
biggrin.gif

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...sp?TID=22&PN=1

A direct comparison of specs is impossible as Gary cites power (200mw into ?), FR and SNR and the LD site cites THD and power (80mw into 16ohm )

kramer5150 - has both a PA2V2 and LD Micro - perhaps (he) could comment on this.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77

What I said is totally my personal feeling, which may be different from others. My comment about HD650 is based on an A/B comparation between PA2V2 and X-Can V3. I use my PA2V2 with my KSC75, HFI-650, and ER4S. It makes my portable rigs very enjoyable. But as I feed it with non-rechargeable batteries, somehow it can be very boring.

I do not have a LD Micro+ at this point. Mine will come to me next month. As my post implied, I expect to see any comment about it too. What I said came from reviews in Chinese forums and a talk with a chinese Hi-fi store owner. If you switch to chinese version of the forum you gave me, the price in china is less than $30USD.

I thought about a group buy idea because the shipping for a single amp is $20 across the ocean. If we buy a lot it could be reduced to $4 USD/lb. Dunno if it is possible.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

But as I feed it with non-rechargeable batteries, somehow it can be very boring..

Gary does not reccommend non-rechargeable batteries as the slightly higher voltage 1.5 vs 1.2 can cause some distortion. Using non-rechargeables when the unit has a buit in charger also seems like an needlessly expensive choice.

Quote:

I thought about a group buy idea because the shipping for a single amp is $20 across the ocean. If we buy a lot it could be reduced to $4 USD/lb. Dunno if it is possible.

Well if you want to arrange one you can count me in on it. I have seen this amp on eBay but the costly shipping has put me off. If the shipped price came down to $40 I would try it for fun at least, not that I need another amp.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 19
I have a LD Micro, not a +... anyways it is pretty powerful and the batteries last forever it seems (ie, been using mine daily for a month with the same batteries!). The sound floor is pretty dark but at higher volumes I can hear a little bit of hiss with my IEMs, with my Grados only if I turned it up to max volume where I'd blow my eardrums out
basshead.gif
The only major changes I'd like to see is an integrated charger (if it could fit) and/or A/C hookup AND I'd realy like better mounting of the jacks as it is a bit scary using my Grados w/RS adapter as I have a good 3"+ straight "plug" sticking out putting a fair amount of pressure on the jack.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the LDM and LDM+? Can't get their website to display right for some reason...

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 19
so how do these 2 amps perform with the HD595..???
i recently got an HD595 (120 ohm version) and am itching to get my hands on an amp... hahahah...

and also has anybody tried the PPX3-SLAM-6SN7 on an HD595..>???
wanna know how it improves....

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 19
The LDM+ has an integrated lithium-ion battery which is rechargeable through the included AC adaptor. It's true that a significant portion of the cost is the shipping, but something to consider is the amp maker, Mr. Yang, only profits about 40 RMB (~5 dollars) from each LDM+ sold.

May 9, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #14 of 19
Well let me ask my question here too as all these comparisons between the Pa2v2 and the dot micro plus seemt o swing either way consistently

I am on my way to order the DT770-32 ohm. Mostly because i game 70% and play music the other 30% (in which both on my ipod and my Winamp i tend to crank up the highs and the lows while recessing the mids via the "rock" preset, i would suxpect this fits fully with the general view of how the DT770 performs)

So i do hear everything tightens up with an amp. Since i want to try it out i am opting for a "cheap" amp. Which would fit the DT770-32 Ohm bill better, the micro or the Pa2v2? I am highly confused

-Ordos-

May 9, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 19
It's hard to say which one is better since I've only heard the PA2V2 with HD595. But at least I can say that IMHO the PA2V2 seems to work pretty well with the HD595. The HD595 has a rather dry bass so the PA2V2 does a nice job in making the lower registers more lively and the entire sound more organic and musical.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the amps. Both will surely be a huge improvement to not having an amp at all. I'd say take both; sell the one you don't like or use it with your 2nd rig. You can't lose
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back