PA2V2 hissing
May 22, 2006 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
I just recieved my pa2v2 from gary and I love em. But I noticed that with the volume on the amp turned all the way up, there is a noticable hissing sound. From what I have read, I am guessing it's from the mini to mini cord. If that's the case, could someone recommend some nice 10$ mini to mini cords.

My setup is psp->pa2v2->AT A-500

May 23, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 14
I seriously doubt that it could be the cable.

1) Try it with no source connected i.e just the headphones plugged into the amp, does it still hiss, mine is absolutey silent at full volume with no source into senn hd580s

2) You are using rechargeable batteries ?

3) Is this with the AC adaptor plugged in as that does introduce a small amount of noise

4) It may not actually be an issue at normal listening levels, the PA2V2 is a very powerful little beast - what is the hiss like at actual listening volumes

5) It may be an impedance issue are your phones very low impedance ?
EDit : 64 ohm so that should not be an issue...

6) If the problem persists contact Gary, he is very responsive

May 23, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 14
the same thing happened to me, except it was with the go-vibe... I still haven't resolved it...
rolleyes.gif

May 23, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I seriously doubt that it could be the cable.

2) You are using rechargeable batteries ?

3) Is this with the AC adaptor plugged in as that does introduce a small amount of noise

I've noticed the same thing on the Pa2v2. However, if you disconnect the ac adaptor, the hiss should be gone.

Using 1.5v batteries with the pa2v2 adds noise.

May 23, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 14
I emailed Gary about this, it's not hissing, it's actually static, which is natural when you blast the volume to full.

As his guide says, the best results are at 60%. So what I do now is turn up the source volume and put the amp volume at around 50-60%

May 23, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 14
I use rechargeable Energizer batteries (NiMh), a Black Dragon interconnect from Moon Audio, an iPod Nano 2GB, all the phones in my signature, and music ripped AAC 256 kbps, and I have no hiss or static when I am on the adapter or off the adapter.

Of course, my volume is barely turned up - maybe I get to 3 o'clock at the loudest.

May 23, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the replies. I did as one of you suggested and turned up the source volume so my amp is only at about 60% percent now.

Another quick question. Does it really make a difference if the amp was turned up VS the source is turned up to the same volume?

May 23, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
Thanks for all the replies. I did as one of you suggested and turned up the source volume so my amp is only at about 60% percent now.

Another quick question. Does it really make a difference if the amp was turned up VS the source is turned up to the same volume?

Funny. When I have my rig all hooked up as follows: iPod Nano -> Black Dragon Interconnect (line-out adapter) -> PA2v2 -> headphones, I can play with my source's volume and it does absolutely nothing. Volume is 100% dependent upon my amp's volume knob.

When I have it coming out of my soundcard instead of the iPod, and using the interconnect that came wit the amp, I can adjust sound via the source (i.e. PC) or my amp.

Why is that?

May 23, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Funny. When I have my rig all hooked up as follows: iPod Nano -> Black Dragon Interconnect (line-out adapter) -> PA2v2 -> headphones, I can play with my source's volume and it does absolutely nothing. Volume is 100% dependent upon my amp's volume knob.

When I have it coming out of my soundcard instead of the iPod, and using the interconnect that came wit the amp, I can adjust sound via the source (i.e. PC) or my amp.

Why is that?

Line out is *normally* a fixed voltage output, typically between 1 and 2 V. The point being that the line out bypasses the internal (and supposedly inferior) amplifier stages and lets the external amp do the job.

The headphone out or analog out on a soundcard or portable device however does not generally bypass the internal amp which may (or may not) mean that the signal you then amplify again externally is already compromised. How much difference does this really make ? dunno , shrug !

May 23, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 14
My PA2v2 does have hiss at top volume, but it also distorts at about 3/4 volume. At normal listening levels (max impedance on my phones is 64ohm) it is completely silent and drives well. To give you an idea, out of my iPod using a lineout, I set the amp at about 15-25% volume, maybe 40% when I really want to crank it.

Best I can tell you is turn it down, or look for another amp - you either listen too loudly to enjoy that amp, or have very high impedence phones... I was under the impression that A-500s were pretty easy to drive though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back