PA2V2 and Super.Fi - a bad combination?
Feb 17, 2006 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got my PA2V2 from Gary, who is an extremely nice and helpful person.

I plugged my Super.Fi 5EB's into the amp and noticed that I even can hear sound playing although the volume is turned off completely on the PA2V2. Without a source playing I can hear a lot of white noise. When I turn up the amp more than half-volume a low-frequency hum is added to the white noise.

I plugged the attenuator that came with the UE's into the PA2V2 and the noise vanished completely. However, then all audio is clipped and distorted. It's a lot worse than the noise-floor without attenuation, actually.

Furthermore, without the attenuator the volume knob is too sensitive, every little touch will alter the left-right balance setting. And if I turn it up some more, my head will explode.

With my AKG K141S plugged into the PA2V2 the sound is very smooth and clear, nothing negative to report.

Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe the amp is faulty (although it sounds fine with the AKG's)? Or are the Super.Fi's too sensitive for the amp (119dB/mW, 11 Ohms)?

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 6

justhavingfun

500+ Head-Fier
dfkt,
It sounds like your PA2V2 might not working properly. After few cycles of battery recharging, if it still behaves like that, I would send an email to Gary if he can diagnosis the problem for you. I am sure he will find the fault if it is indeed something wrong with your amp. Good luck.

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 6

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, I think the super.fi is too sensitive to need an amp, and will only highlight the PA2V2's faults more than anything else. I had the same experience with Etys - I could hear music even with the amp turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread