P51, tomahawk, pico, or other?
Dec 25, 2010 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
OK in the past I have used the hornet, tomnhawk, and the pico original w/ dac. Well time has come again to get an amp shortly. Is the p51 that much better than the tomahawk? Is there something else I should try?

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 21
If you're looking to change things up a bit. The Corda Stepdance might be worth looking into, it has some drawbacks i.e. power consumption and some say it's slightly to big to be considered portable but the sound quality is supposed to be superb. There's quite a big thread about it on Head-Fi.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 21
Portability is a must. I need to be able to put the amp and iPod in my pants pocket and go.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Portability is a must. I need to be able to put the amp and iPod in my pants pocket and go.

If portability is a must, you cannot beat the Pico Slim and/or the P51.  Both are excellent choice but you have to hear it for yourself which one you preferred.  Especially the Pico Slim, that thing is rediculously small and cute.  If you paired it with the new Ipod Nano, it is no bigger than two sticks of gum but you have a sound will drive you crazy.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 21
i agree with Luhaine, i just heard this amp a few days ago. using an i pod nano 6  apple loss less and AKG K240 Mk II through stranded silver wires and it has great sound, plenty of power. it`s a bit on the big side and the curved top don't help with i pod placement. also very small clicking can be heard when changing the volume. but the sound is clean otherwise.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

If portability is a must, you cannot beat the Pico Slim and/or the P51.  Both are excellent choice but you have to hear it for yourself which one you preferred.  Especially the Pico Slim, that thing is rediculously small and cute.  If you paired it with the new Ipod Nano, it is no bigger than two sticks of gum but you have a sound will drive you crazy.

I agree with Jalo, I don't think you can go wrong with either the P51 or the Pico Slim (7th G iPod --> lossless --> Pico or P51 --> JH13s with Whiplash re-cable).   I have both and enjoy both immensely.   For me, the Pico Slim has a slight edge with classical music and jazz with a tad more extension and clarity in the lower bass and just edges the P51 in soundstage......just.    As Jalo says, the slim is bloody tiny and hence has a small foot print, especially with a nano.....

I do suggest you try both and make your own decision.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 21
I just got the iBasso T3 off the forums and paired with my Nano.  Great, tiny portable setup and the T3 sounds superb for the money.  Note I said "for the money" since it was less than 100.  Still, for portabilityk it's great

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 21
I have the T3 and the D4 - T3 is good for IEMs but not much chop with fullsize cans. I'm sure that Skylabs final rankings wont agree with everyone, but he spent a crazy amount of time reviewing these amps - my suspicion is that anything from the first 3 tiers (and beyond) would keep most of us happy, and his list provides good background info on some very well-known amps:. Apologies for repeating such an extensive list, but I think the OP should consider all his options if he is willing to spend P-51 money. There is no *absolute* ranking, and I suspect that HeadphoneAddict rates the P-51 a little differently to Skylab, but its good to have access to the reviews behind these rankings.  (I removed the reference to the Larocco amp which has been 'long ago discontinued' - doesnt make much sense for those looking to buy an amp in 2010).

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-last-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b 

Level 1:

Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional/ Triad Audio L3 (newer version) Review here
MST Fi.Quest, @ $450 (Review here)
Meier Audio Stepdance @ $350 (Review here)
Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B @ $600 (Review here)
Ray Samuels Audio The Protector (in BALANCED mode only), @ $475 (Review here)

Level 2:

Qables iQube @ $605.00
RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00

Level 3:

ALO Audio RX Mk II @ $449 (review here)
Headamp Pico @ $349.00
Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
iBasso Audio D4 Mamba @ $219 (Review Here )
RSA SR71 @ $395.00 (original SR71, not the SR71A)
RSA The Predator @ $475.00
RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00
iBasso Toucan @ $229 (Review here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that Ray has made a concerted effort, along with other amp manufacturers, to bring the size of his portable amps down to something closer to 'pocket-sized', but for me that is low on my list of priorities. Common sense tells me that putting more power in a smaller enclosure must manifest itself in increased heat, but that is something you need to confirm when you have narrowed your shortlist to a single amp :)

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
I just got the iBasso T3 off the forums and paired with my Nano.  Great, tiny portable setup and the T3 sounds superb for the money.  Note I said "for the money" since it was less than 100.  Still, for portabilityk it's great

For the money, portability and sound the T3 is great but its far from other portable amps esp ones lke pico slim, p51 etc.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 21
totally agree, which is why I said "for the money"  Have owned the P51 and would choose that in a heartbeat, but T3 at under 100 used is quite hard to beat

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

P51 is suppose to be a portable amp but it is still too thick to stuff into the pocket. Pico Slim, Alo RX, TTVJ slim and Headstage Arrow are much slimmer and easier for portable use.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 21
Though a little thicker, but it is very short and small.  I imagine it will match perfectly with the Nano 6 if that is what he wants.   Definitly smaller than RX, TTVJ slim in width and length.  I kept the P51 a tier 2 amp but selling a tier one amp-Protector, go figure.  

PS.  Exact dimension of P51  2.25 x 1.75 x 0.8

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
 I kept the P51 a tier 2 amp but selling a tier one amp-Protector, go figure.  

And that gels with the fact that no-one here will have the same ears as Skylab, or identical kit/musical tastes. Were you using the Protector in balanced mode ?

Edit : this is what Rob had to say on the P-51vsProtector - bolding is mine:

[size=10pt]All of the below describes the amp IN BALANCED MODE, using the HifiMan HE-5 and the DT880/600. I did use the amp in single-ended mode, and in that regard it is still very good, but not quite as good as the P-51 Mustang. I would not recommend The Protector unless you plan to use it to drive balanced headphones. [/size]

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Yes, I have jh13 TWag recable in protector balance connector.  I also have an adaptor for min plug application.  I actually sold the Predator, SR71A, and selling the Protector this last few weeks.  But the P51 and the Pico slim are special.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks Jalo - the 'regular' Pico is still on my shortlist, but its hard to go past the bang-for-buck proposition offered by the Stepdance. So many amps, so little &%$^! disposable cash :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back