P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #527 of 561
Super excited i just picked up another p4 warbler, i had one a few years ago, loved it sold it regretted it and been looking ever since. these seem to be decently hard to get your hands on.

anyhow, i picked up the LME49990 which i loved, and picked up one of ron's p4  top kits. cannot wait to give this a go with the cypher labs algorhythm solo.

so now the current setup will be

Westone 4R
IPOD Touch 4g
Ibasso P4 Warbler Amp
Cypher labs algorhythm solo DaC
Toxic Silver Poison Westone Cable
Toxic Silver Poison USB to LOD
Toxic Silver Poison Mini to mini

i think the sound has just gotten real lol

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #529 of 561
Does anyone have experience of using the MUSES01 and 02 op-amps in the P4? Are they a direct drop-in replacement? Which sounds better?

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #530 of 561
I am late to the party but I just bought a brand new P4! I am so happy and surprised I found a retailer had stock. I have rolled every possible combination (probably) with the stock opamps and challenge any one to come up with a better sound than using;

L/R: TLE2141, B: BUF634P WB (hi-c), G: AD797, V: OPA604

The stock tle2141 is simply the best fit for l/r due to its neutral, fast and clear sound, it makes a great base to start building other op amp sounds on top. Buf634 hi-c have better extention and transparency over the 634u, the transistor buf does not have air, wide stage or extension.

IMO l/r and buffers are best left to neutral and balanced op amps, and G, V is where we can focus on adding our desired flavour.

Lastly for G and V where I did the most experimentation, I first found that using both G and V usually result in a muddled sound, I began to think the only good combo could be using only G or only V, but after many sleepless hours of rolling, I found the golden above combo.

The opamp in G has more effect than the one in V, the ad797 brings great warmth, very great timbre in mid bass and vocals and mids, but its missing a bit of speed, treble air, sub bass and open stage. Using opa604 in V completely fixes all these faults like a miracle match made in heaven, the opa604 adds that bit of sub bass, speeds up the sound just a fraction and widens the sound stage creating airiness, the ad797 in G alone can only suit few genres, but adding op604 in V makes magic happen and able to suit any genre.

The resulting sound is versatile and simply euphoric, while still balanced it sounds amazingly lush and deep 3 dimentional.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #532 of 561
So I got a new interconnect cable (was using stock ibasso cable before) and suddenly my op amp combo sounded rubbish! So I had to come up with a new combo to suit the new more revealing interconnect. New fav combo is:

L/R: 2x OPA604, Buf: 2x AD797, G: TLE2141, V: TLE2141

There is loads of sub bass with this combo while keeping mids and treble forward, opa604 makes sure mids and treble are forward and ad797 makes sure they are yet silky smooth and also adds its famous warmth in the mids and mid bass, the tle2142 help cut through the warmth by boosting sub bass and adding clarity to treble, Im finding tle2141 does an excellent job refining the sound in G and V, bringing micro detail forward even while keeping with the smoothness theme. I really like this combo, but if you are allergic to bass you won't like it :D

Also I like low gain for this combo. Please try it and tell me what you think! its a very fun forward energetic sound while staying completely smooth and lacking grain or sharpness, detail and timbre level is also very good imo.

Its amazing that because we all have different cables and sources even with the same op amp combo we will hear differently.

But please tell me what you think of this combo with your gear.

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #533 of 561
Well I emailed Ibasso to see if they are still making the P4 and they said it was discontinued. But they will be releasing the P5 in 3 months.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #535 of 561
Hey Spud
Whats your favorite combo in the P4? (with any possible opamps)

and if Jamato sees this, how does P4 compare to fiio E12 DIY? I notice you sold your P4!

I today ordered Muses02 and 01 and LME49600 buffers, just for wank factor! (and will probably sound good, hehe)

Also curious about if anyone has tested the P4 and PB2 with same opamp setup, using single ended. Do they sound identical or are there some differences?

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #536 of 561
I have compared the P4 and PB2 single-ended many times when comparing different opamp combinations and to my ears, the P4 wins every time as the PB2 is primarily designed for balanced operation where it performs superbly. It is difficult to exactly compare the two due to the ground socket options in the P4.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #537 of 561
Good to know! The problem is its hard (impossible imo) to keep transparency when you use the ground sockets. I often find enjoyable sound sigs using ground, but the lack of transparency still stops me from using them.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #538 of 561
Good to know! The problem is its hard (impossible imo) to keep transparency when you use the ground sockets. I often find enjoyable sound sigs using ground, but the lack of transparency still stops me from using them.

I always use a bypass adapter in the center ground socket. That makes it opamp + buffer.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #539 of 561
+1 on this. I find that the most transparent way of ensuring a decent bass weight and control (for full size cans such as HD600 and DT250/250) is to set gain to high, fit the op-amps of your choice and the discrete transistor buffers. The ground sockets are then left empty (dummy adapters).

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #540 of 561
Im using LME49600 buffers with Muses02 now, sounds fantastic for iems. But Ive found that both Muses dont sound great with fullsize headphones. The 49600 buffers sound like a more refined version of HA5002 buffers to my ears, which means awesome! Basically similar frequency balance, but 49600 is cleaner and less grainy, most importantly the 49600 has a bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back