P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Feb 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #481 of 561
Interesting, added to my list for when my hours pick up.

Got my OPA627's and i've fallen for those, that's again with the 5002's and bypass ground.

Quick question if you will, are these fine in my P4, i ordered them without 100% knowing if they're fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260318493270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Also can you use buffers and opamps in either ground and L/R channels, or are there some combinations to be avoided?

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #482 of 561
Using the 627`s in L/R? Never tried it but then again I haven`t bypassed ground. Will try that combo over the weekend. Problem is though as I have mentioned I need the 634`s as buffers because to me, they are the kiddies that add the bass punch instead of the 5002`s.

Edit: that is in my P3 though, the P4 may perform really differently.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #483 of 561
I really like the 5002. The pin out is different from the standard op amps and buf634 so the surface mount need to be ordered and the adapter socket used like the one from Brown Dog, which corrects the pinout for using in the socket.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #484 of 561
Hey John, long time no see/speak. How are you doing my friend?

I have been testing Ryuzoh's Maxxed MB Dac recently, wow, that is some piece of kit.... I have already told him to put me on the list for the new one which will be I-device type as he has a licence from Apple now.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #485 of 561
Quote:
Hey John, long time no see/speak. How are you doing my friend?

I have been testing Ryuzoh's Maxxed MB Dac recently, wow, that is some piece of kit.... I have already told him to put me on the list for the new one which will be I-device type as he has a licence from Apple now.

Doing fine here in Alaska. The MB1 dac is a great little dac. Excellent sound and fun to use, I agree. Haven't heard the maxxed version. If word really got out about it, it would be a smash hit.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #486 of 561
anyone with a P4 that has recently purchased a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc amp?
I am interested in how they compare to one another as I own the P4, but am interested in the Fiio E12.

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #487 of 561
Here's a question to the P4 experts... 
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using my P4 with the following setup: OPA627BP x2 + HA5002 Buffer x2 + Dummy Ground x2

I like it very much that way, but I really never tried other opamp configurations, as this is how I got it from the previous owner. If I wanted to make it sound as close as possible to a tube amp ("warmest" sounding possible, mostly), which opamp configuration should I look for?

popcorn.gif

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #488 of 561
High end tube sound generally tends to be warm and smooth but with no loss of micro detail or dynamics. There are warmer sounding chips but many sacrifice these things. The only one I found to come close to high end tube sound was the LME49990, it's still a chip at the end of the day and never going to sound exactly like a tube amp as design and power play a big part in that. It's a nice chip though in the P4. I have used them with HA5002 buffers and ISL5002 in ground for as long as I can remember.

Regards - Nigel

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #489 of 561
Quote:
High end tube sound generally tends to be warm and smooth but with no loss of micro detail or dynamics. There are warmer sounding chips but many sacrifice these things. The only one I found to come close to high end tube sound was the LME49990, it's still a chip at the end of the day and never going to sound exactly like a tube amp as design and power play a big part in that. It's a nice chip though in the P4. I have used them with HA5002 buffers and ISL5002 in ground for as long as I can remember.

Regards - Nigel

Thanks, Nigel! 
beerchug.gif

I'll get the LME49990! I've found several on eBay in DIP8 format, but I'm not sure which ones to get for the P4! There are versions with 2 LME49990 in a single DIP8 and others in 2x DIP8 each with a single LME49990... Help, please?!? 
confused.gif

Also, where can I find those ISL5002?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #490 of 561
This is where I bought all mine.....

LME49990

The ISL5002 are a little tricky to get as they come on a special adapter with resistors on the base. I bought mine from Ron Kerlin (HiFlight). He is my OpAmp Guru and an absolute gent, I'm sure he will sort you out if you drop him a line.

Hope the link above works, I've not done this on the iPad before.

Best of luck.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #491 of 561
Quote:
This is where I bought all mine.....

LME49990

The ISL5002 are a little tricky to get as they come on a special adapter with resistors on the base. I bought mine from Ron Kerlin (HiFlight). He is my OpAmp Guru and an absolute gent, I'm sure he will sort you out if you drop him a line.

Hope the link above works, I've not done this on the iPad before.

Best of luck.

Yes, it works, thanks! So, I'll need to get 2 of those LME49990's from that link to use with the P4, right?

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #495 of 561
Well, since I need to learn more about opamps, can you further explain the difference between those two LME49990 versions available from that seller? I mean, if I were to buy without asking you first, I'd go for the 2x single instead of the 1x dual! From what I can understand from the P4 manual, it can take both options (1x dual or 2x single) or am I wrong? Are there advantages/disadvantages from one option to the other? 
redface.gif

Thank you for your help! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back