P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Jun 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #451 of 561
The P4 does a pretty good job with the HD600 when I compare it to my LD MKIII. The biggest difference seems to be the bass impact/extension and soundstage. The P4 seems to be more upfront sounding with less depth so it's a little flatter and not as full sounding. I also use the Q701 with the P4 and it sounds good but i don't have anything besides the MKIII to compare to so i cant comment too much. I don't know how useful this is because of all the different opamp and tube variations that come into play here but hopefully it helps some.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #452 of 561
i was interested to find the stock configuartion has the gain at the +10.5db setting. I thought it was always best to set the gain at the lowest setting you are happy with that works with the head unit. I wondered why they would set the stock to this?

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #453 of 561
warbler or pb2? i want the best souding quality for my ultrasone pro 900 and my hd598. i know the warbler is fine for *drive* my headphones, but i really want the best sound quality , soundstage, base deep, instruments separation, details, and more. thx!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #454 of 561
I have both the P4 and PB2/DB2.  If you are using them single ended, you may not hear too much difference, depending on the op amps and buffers.  Where you will hear a difference is running balanced.  I have the iBasso balanced Sennheiser cord to my HD600s and there is a noticeable openness in the sound.

My P4 is for on the road driving my Ety 4S and I’m running an 8620 OPA and HA5002 buffers.  I did have 627s in the V/G sockets but I change them out but I don’t recall what is in there.  In my PB2 I also use the HA5002 buffers but swap around the OPAs.  If you are going to go balanced, get the PB2.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #455 of 561
I need help... lol

P4, D4 or D12...

All I really need  is an amp, but I could use a different DAC. 
Taking any opinions.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #458 of 561
They just give something different even with the same opamps, In 4 channel mode the P4 is a very exiting amp to listen to, the PB-2 is probably a more realistic sounding amp and one I transport for vacations etc with a set of balanced cans (D7000 usually). The P4 is a nice form to strap to a classic for an involving on the go listen but not one I use for critical istening. With the right chipset you probably could tune it for any application I just choose to have the two amps for separate uses.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice on the Warbler. =)

I've noted...

+ gold-plated sockets
+ 3CH / 4CH design

versus Pelican

+ balanced
- four op-amp's required, or 2x stereo (like MUSES01 x2 etc.), no advantage here.
- less battery life
- higher THD and crosstalk? Not listed in the .pdf.

Naturally there are more differences, anyone else compared them?

What's the IC at the bottom-left in this pic?

20101107173514.jpg

20101107174417.jpg

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #462 of 561
Folks I've gone and bought two OPA627 and HA5002

I'm fine fitting the 627's but do I fit The 5002's the same only in the middle two sockets?

Don't want to blow my baby.

Where did you get the 5002's? They are not your standard plug and play as they have to be mounted on an adapter with smd resistors etc....

If you got them ready mounted then yes you put them in the centre sockets.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #464 of 561
HiFlight (Ron Kerlin) is where I got mine. I bought pre built modules from him, he's a top bloke. You can find his details on this thread as he is also an avid fan of ibasso gear. He's the chap behind "topkits" (premium chipsets for rolling).

It's worth doing though as the 5002 is easily my favourite buffer.

Hope that helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back