1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by jamato8, Oct 25, 2010.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. greenrolaids
    how well would the p4 drive 600ohm headphones ?

I was looking to get the beyerdynamic dt880's 600ohm.

2. ztsen
    Just received my P4 today!

Initial impression is very positive to me  :)

Here a little picture for sharing  ><

_1040595.jpg

3. CEE TEE Contributor
    Personal opinion: get a desktop amp.

Quote:

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/massdrop https://twitter.com/massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
  4. GeorgeGoodman
    The P4 is almost as good as a desktop amp, and it is portable. I think it has more than enough power to drive the DT880s. 600mw a channel are the specs.

Quote:

5. estreeter
    George,

I downloaded the PDF for the P4 - recommended impedance range is 8-300 ohms. I have never owned a 600 ohm pair of headphones, but I did have the K601 and I know what its like to try to find an amp with enough cojones to drive your headphones.

End of the day, its all just numbers until you plug headphone X into amp Y, but the whole impedance-matching thing has been criticised here many times - there is more to it than numbers on a page.

estreeter

6. tnmike1

Quote:

Ron: you've piqued my interest in this amp when you mention you have a kit for classical and jazz.  Only listen to both venues.  Care to give pricing on the opamp kit???

7. charlie0904
    @ztsen

you pick yours up at stereo? looking forward to head down for a listen.
    can to share any impression of the synergy with UM3X?  :)

8. GeorgeGoodman
    @estreeter,

Sure, the P4 would probably have slightly less performance than a desktop amp. However, it shouldn't stop greenrolaids from considering the amp if he wants a portable amp that can also drive the DT880s pretty well. If he doesn't care about portability, then he should get a desktop amp.

9. CEE TEE Contributor
    After trying the P4 and using it with HD-600 (and comparing it to desktop amps) I decided that for me that I would use portable amps for Grados and PK1.

I'm working on getting a desktop DAC/Amp and have been trying some out.  With respect to greenrolaids question- I have only tried <very briefly> the DT880 250 ohm and 600 ohm back-to-back but not with the P4 (which I no longer have).

In my brief experience with having both D12 and P4 at the same time- if you don't need the DAC, then the P4 would be a really fun experience for trying out all sorts of rolling with opamps and buffers but I wouldn't recommend the P4 for 600 ohm headphones.  Not after hearing what even inexpensive desktops can do in comparison with just 300 ohm phones.  

My hopes for getting everything in portables changed after getting these things and trying them out...  Someday there will be a fuel cell in a portable amp that will run off hydrogen and drive any headphone.  But the good news is that iBasso has a desktop amp on the way and there are LOTS of great desktops that don't cost that much if you want to get DT-880 600 ohm (which I did like better than 250 ohm version).  And, iBasso is probably working on that mini-fuel cell as we speak! 

There are PLENTY of phones that the D12 and the P4 can drive.  So we're in great shape and will have lots of toys in the end...

Quote:

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/massdrop https://twitter.com/massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
  10. estreeter

Quote:

The problem, as I see it, is that Head-Fiers seem to have an uncanny knack of trying to drive the 'biggest' cans with the smallest amps - all well and good if you can afford a desktop amp AND a portable (or five ..), but there is a big difference between being able to get more volume from an amp and being able to actually drive those cans to their optimum. The other problem is that many of the cheaper fullsize amps simply arent going to cut it sound-wise once the novelty has worn off - I'm happy to hear otherwise, but it looks like the Corda Concerto is the baseline for a good fullsize amp. I'm not knocking Little Dot and others for bringing headphone amps to the masses, but it seems to be inevitable that Head-Fiers start out with the cheaper models and end up with something around the price of the Concerto or beyond. I'm definitely not immune to this, but the definition of insanity is repeating the same sequence and expecting a different result. Both the Toucan and the SR71B promise the kind of voltage swings which could well make it possible to drive big cans from tiny amps, but the only way to find out is to part with your hard-earned - having done that, how many of us would be willing to come back and report that your dream amp didn't match expectations ?

I applaud you for being specific re the P4/HD600. Some fields simply demand a bigger tractor, pure and simple  :) 

11. GeorgeGoodman
    Skylab says the SR71B is pretty close to his desktop amp in driving the HE-6. He says it is impossible to distort the sound and it wounds really good, a fact I can vouch for as I have heard the combo while ray proudly watched me. It is kind of stupid that head-fiers keep trying to run huge phones on tiny amps, but they are nice to bring around the house, in all fairness. I still think any phone up to 300 ohms will be fine on the P4. 600 ohm phones will do very well, but will not perform to the limits of their capabilities.

12. paulybatz

SR71B is balanced...The Toucan would be a comparative tool here, not the P4...and you are talking double the money for the RSA unit!
    Apples and Oranges and Grapes
    Quote:

13. GeorgeGoodman

True. I was just saying that there are portable amps that are good enough to serve as a home amp. The P4 comes very close, from what I have read.

Quote:

14. ztsen

I ordered direct with iBasso and free delivery to Beijing when I was business trip there. Not much time with it yet. But some opamp rolling will definitely find the best fit for UM3X. :)

Quote:

15. SpudHarris Contributor
    Think I'll be ordering one of these very soon......

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last