1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

P O S S I B L E ... S C A M M E R ... A L E R T

First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20
Next

Last
  1. Currawong Contributor
    That is why I refuse to link my bank account to Paypal.  Credit card only for me.

2. Majestic

Quote:

Amen.........And that's what is reported, misuse and mistrust with P.P.

3. cj3209
    Just wanted to add my two cents, re: paypal:  (and no, I don't work for paypal, I work for local government)

A number of years back, I sold a very expensive upgraded/modded Apple Powerbook with state-of-the-art options (at the time). I sold it for $3,000 and used Fedex Ground with signature/tracking and insurance.  The buyer said he received it 'damaged' (something about black marks).  I was horrified and asked for pics.  He then said that he didn't receive it but someone else had taken the notebook at his work and thus wanted his money back.  Everything was in email.  Paypal contacted me and I promptly sent them all the correspondence and shipping information.  In one week, they sided with me and I was able to keep the money.  I was pretty grateful to Paypal as $3K is not a small amount.

Lesson:  take the shipping seriously (use tracking, signature, insurance, and pack well) and document the correspondance.

Caveat Emptor!
    CJ
    [​IMG]

4. usf09
    I should have been more clear...I cleared the account to my bank before the payment reversal. But the Paypal balance in my account went from $0 to -$400. If I wanted to use Paypal again, I had to clear my account. I'm pretty sure they have my SSN, it's been a while since I set it up, but I didn't want to get a low credit score, which they said could happen if they transferred my debt to a collection agency. I don't even know if that was an empty threat or a real one, but I went into my pocket to cover the deficit. With the original cost of the item, I was out $675 total. In one transaction. I just don't want to take that chance anymore, so  I stopped selling outside Craigslist...it's not bad, people are often willing to pay my asking prices, but unfortunately for specialty items like head-fi, I'm stuck with what I buy...

Edit: I still use Paypal to pay for stuff, only use credit card now though...I'd really rather not give them any business whatsoever, but there's really no other options...

5. Bostonears

That doesn't protect you any more than using a bank account. PayPal has the authority to directly charge your credit card in the same situations where they would suck money directly out of your bank account.

6. K_19

Quote:

Not to mention that in North America your chances of winning any sort of claim as a buyer is zero when dealing outside of ebay, no matter how much of a fault it is of the seller.  The dispute does not even go through in fact.  And as you'd know I learned this the hard way recently.  [​IMG]

7. Majestic
    What they perceive as authority and what you approve is really two different things. As long as you can prove the transaction was not approved then the transaction can be reversed. Again you must prove it.

Quote:

8. Bostonears

You are correct, but the most common case has nothing to do with your approval. If someone buys an item from you and pays for it with PayPal, if that person files a claim (saying for example that the item arrived damaged), PayPal immediately takes the money back from you until the matter is settled.

9. Majestic
    That I agree with. 

Quote:

10. Currawong Contributor

Quote:

I can, and have, done a chargeback with my bank before (which is in Australia).

11. kool bubba ice
    A guy claims he never got a game I sent him. I included Delivery confirmation. The package was delivered.. But it's possible that there was a screw up. & some people have no problem takingr things that are not there's. One time I had two people who purchased my one item. It was really weird. One filed a dispute.. I just c/p the time my item was purchased. He lost by a few seconds.. I showed him the proof that Ebay screwed up.. How two people could win the same item shouldn't happen. He just wanted a refund & I gave it to him. Back to the other guy. He has 36 positive feedback.. All as a buyer.. Sellers all gave him great comments. He seemed sincere, so I refunded him his 17.00 & am giving him a free game for his inconvience. I know there's a chance he could be a scammer.. But the trouble isn't worth 17.00 bucks... & I'm getting positive feedback to boot. I have been scammed by a seller before.. Was for a Queens golden CD. Greatest hits. The scammer canceled her account before I could do anything. Her ebay account may have been hijacked. All of a sudden she was getting a lot of negative feedback. Lost 20.00.. I feel for people who lose thousands.

12. kayser
    http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516126/for-sale-earsonic-sm3
    Interesting [​IMG]

13. .Sup

Quote:

funny lad. He's name and surname looks British/English but his English is poor. Definitely funky 

14. Currawong Contributor
    I don't see why someone who doesn't use Head-fi should just sign up and here and post a FS, so I've removed it.

15. Hero Kid
    Quote:

Can we please implement some rules in relation to this? I vote for minimum post count and time joined.

First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20
Next

Last