OY! Antness/Gilmore KGCA owners!
Nov 8, 2002 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
LET'S HAVE SOME REVIEWS YOU LOUSY BUNCH OF SLACKERS!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(just kidding, but the amp has been out for a few weeks now, and there haven't been any reviews yet...)

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 9
eric, hehe.

I finished antness' kit a few days ago, but haven't done any critical listening. The OPA548 opamps in the PS have been oscillating and overheating (especially the negative side). KG has given advice using 0.1uF caps and it's helped. But, it still needs some burn-in time...

Even though you may not be as interested, the META42 you initially built me has gone through some major upgrades. I now consider it to be truely all out (though the Elpac PS can be improved upon). I have since:

- added 2,200uF/220uF Black Gates
- placed Caddock resistors in the audio path
- put Holco resistors (from Welborne) everywhere else
- changed hook-up wires to silver
- removed and jumpered C1
- biased into class A
- replaced the EL2001s w/ EL2009s
- removed virtual ground/rail splitter

Last night, I changed all the resistor values to come close to PPL's latest amp schematic. Before my EL2009s were getting REALLY hot, but now they run cool. Changing R7 from 62 to 150 must have really helped with oscillation. Let me just say, it sounds sooo good. My META42 is now ready for critical comparisons w/ the KG amp, after they both get a bit more burn-in.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 9
oh did they! the EL2009s improved everything across the board. The resistor changes have helped as well. But I did a major swap out w/ new brands and values, so I can't say what did what (though R7 most likely stopped the EL2009s from oscillating). I spent my lunch break listening to the amps. My initial impression is that both amps perform very closely with a slight edge to the KG amp. I need to do a lot more critical listening to speak any more on their differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back