"Overpriced amplification is just as bad as overpriced cables in this "hobby.""

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by Niouke, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
1 2
Page 3 of 9
4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last
  1. coinmaster
    If an amp costs $300 to make and sells for $5000 it is overpriced. Especially since too many of them have over 50% of the cost in the chassis.
    Welcome to Hi-Fi. :)

2. wuwhere Contributor
    BHSE is beautiful. And do not depreciate much in value. If I have $7k burning in my wallet, would I buy one? Absolutely!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. coinmaster
    A case in point
    While I was simming up some experimental designs under different load conditions I saw a good example of why THD is a crappy benchmark for sound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Strangely enough both are almost the same THD.
    I assure you the top one will sound better. A lot better.

kn19h7 likes this.
  4. robertbudding
    That's how we ended up with people in the 1990's claiming that painting the edges of CDs green and spreading little magical wooden discs about the listening room improved sound. So, no, I'm always a little skeptical of what I think I hear.

5. robertbudding
    There's something about the warm glow of tubes that is appealing.

6. Redcarmoose
    hh scott 222d.jpg 222d.jpg

I had this HH Scott 222D tube amp for headphones and speakers from 1995 till 2008 and just loved it. All original from 1964, worked perfect for everything. Then I found out about Head-Fi. I remember walking into a stereo store and they would demo stuff, and I would just smile, because I had all I ever needed at home.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  7. Whazzzup
    [​IMG]
    If your interested in one of the best looking amplifier graphs here is gsx mk2. Look at frequency response, thing of beauty. Course this has nothing to do with preference.

8. sonitus mirus
    Let me guess, you will be selling tube amplifiers? Is this thread a marketing ploy for your new business/product?

9. FastAndClean
    "Overpriced amplification is just as bad as overpriced cables in this "hobby.""
    So i can keep my magni 2?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. coinmaster
    I wouldn't necessarily say that "overpriced" amps don't sound good. It's more of the fact that the audio industry indulges high profit margins. Often the chassis costs much more than the stuff that actually makes it work as well.

11. Whazzzup
    90AD4BB2-1DD2-4304-A464-3CEB1C729DBD.jpeg

12. Redcarmoose
    Tube amps already have enough marketing. Most of the ploy in Head-Fi is folks shooting holes through stuff they simply can’t or will not let themselves afford, saying that it is all over priced nonsense.

The ploy is to themselves.

13. bigshot
    Efficiency is a worthwhile goal I'd say. The problem with audiophiles is when they want to spend money on things they can't even hear when there's a perfectly acceptable inexpensive solution.

BobG55 likes this.
  14. coinmaster
    As if I would stoop to that level. Besides, I'm not the thread starter. I was just speaking my mind.
    I'll let my products speak for themselves. If they aren't "better" then there's no point, I have better things to do with my time than do marketing schemes. Also I will not specifically be selling tube amps, certainly not all tube. Hybrids and solid state.

trellus and sonitus mirus like this.
  15. Philosobyte
    @coinmaster Interesting. Much of what you've said reminds me of what I've read from Jason Stoddard's serialized book on this forum. Jason also dislikes the high profit margins and high chassis costs in this industry, and co-started a company with a line of products to combat those problems. The only difference I see between what you've said and what I've read from Jason is that you are much more of a champion for tube amps.

Do you think Schiit amps, especially their tube and hybrid amps (pretty much every amp they sell except for the Magni and Asgard) are overpriced just like the rest of them?

First

Back
1 2
Page 3 of 9
4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last