Overlooked a pretty important part
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spanks

100+ Head-Fier
I forgot the cables!

So I'm doing my Christmas shopping, and so far I've ordered the whiplash starving student amp, and the KECES 151 dac.

The output on the DAC is standard RCA, and the input of the amp has both

Quote:

The Mini Millet features a miniplug (3.5mm) input as well as standard RCA jacks to allow you to connect multiple sources without adapter cables.

Now, my first thought was to go to blue jean cables because they're cheap and awesome. I did a little searching and people seem to like them.

How big of an impact could the cable between the DAC and the amp have on the sound? I read about people saying the BJC had a slight veil sound to it, whereas a Mogami cable was really awesome with an hd-650 (I'm getting those too). I don't think adding more of a 'veil' on top of the sound would be a good synergy with the 650's.

Lastly, does the BJC LC-1 come with just one cable, or both cables for $30? I would think it would come with both, but I can't find a clear answer. I figure someone here knows.

Precision Stereo Audio Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Comes in a pair.
The interconnect impact issue is a debated one around here. I personally believe cables can sound different, but there are plenty of people who dont. My recomendation would be to get something that has decent construction, shileding, copper or silver (purity), and plugs that doesnt break the bank, the BJC have a good reputation for fitting this bill. Other options would be diy or buy a diy cable from someone around here, but really the BJC would seem like a solid bet for the price.
Dave

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll go with my first plan and just get the BJC. I've found its better to ask here than just take things for granted when it comes to this stuff.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 6
From the BJC page that was linked to above:

Techflex Braided Cable Jacket:
All of our cable sets above will be delivered as two separate cables of identical length. However, if you prefer cables which are grouped together in a common jacket, we also offer Techflex, a black plastic braided covering similar to a "finger trap," for stereo audio cables up to 25 feet in length. Techflex adds one dollar per foot to the cost of any cable assembly above.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 6
If your budget is constrained, please watch out for silver plated cable, as thinly plated silver can cause the sound to become thin and harsh. And of course, cheap silver plated cable will very likely to only receive a thin silver plating, that could actually do more harm then good.

IMHO I would get a cheaper cable now and possibly upgrade it later on, without spending too much now, you won't have too much losses when you upgrade in the future when the budget is not as tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back