Overhauling my entire setup...help appreciated.
Jun 23, 2004 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GokieKS

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, my first real post on Head-Fi, and I've got some questions (as usual? ^^)

I'm actually not sure where I should post this, but ultimately decided since the source is a PC, and this being Head-Fi, most will be knowledgable in the cans/amps area as well, this would be it.

Anyhow...

My current setup, which I'm finding quite unsatisfactory, is the onboard audio of my Abit IC7-G connected to a Kenwood HTB-206 HTiB system (VR-715 receiver) via TOSLINK, and a pair of Sony MDR-D66SL Eggos plugged into the receiver. I'm a (computer) geek to the core, so my PC is really the center of my life. Not to mention as a student, I don't have the resources for much of anything else - the versatility of the computer is the tremendous draw.

For watching DVDs and AC3-encoded videos, it's fine. I haven't got the room (or money) for bigger and better speakers, and since I rarely watch DVDs as it is, it's not a big concern. I'll upgrade the speakers (much?) later.

Music quality, on the other hand, is - music is playing just about every moment that I'm awake (and sometimes when I'm not =P). The majority of my digital music collection is 320kbps MP3s, encoded using LAME for max quality (been thinking about changing formats, but I can't feel completely reripping/reencoding everything to OGG would be worth the effort, and loseless formats aren't supported on my iRiver iHP-120, so it'll probably stay that way).

My musical tastes are a rather diverse lot, as I listen to just about everything EXCEPT rap, heavy-metal, and country (and rap-rock, if you want to count it as a seperate genre), but with an emphasis on Asian (Japanese/Chinese) pop, Eurobeat, and Classical.

Here's what I'm planning so far:

1. Obviously, the first thing I need is a soundcard. I've been looking more or less for a Via Envy24HT based card with optical-out, but also good quality DACs to connect my headphones to, but the only one I've really been able to find that fits the bill is the Terratec Aureon 7.1 series (Space/Universe). They're kinda pricey though, so I'm wondering, has anyone had any experience with them? And how big of a difference is there, really, between the Envy24HT and Envy24HT-S? The Chaintech AV-710 seems to be very highly regarded, and at $25 or so, I'd have to say it's very very tempting. Lack of an optical-in is a con, but again, the price is unbeatable. Or should I buy the Chaintech, see how it works, and see if I want to spend the money on the Terratec? I don't like the way that train of thought is going... ¬_¬

2. Headphones. My second pair of Sony EX71SLs (US version, $30 from Amazon) somehow seems nowhere near as good as my old set (Japanese imported, a pretty $60), to the point where the low-end bass actually hurts my ears at times (used with my iRiver). So I'm probably going to be using the D66s as portable cans, which gives me an excuse to get a better setup for my home use. From what I've seen/heard, the Sennheiser HD580/600s seem to be my best bet. I don't like bass to be too strong (or I would've found the Eggos quite lacking), and the Grado SR-80s that were my other choice proved to be too much.

I'm open to other suggestions though... I just want them to be under $200, comfortable, and more suited to mild music than heavy rock 'n roll.

3. Amp. This is the one area where I've just about no clue. When dealing with headphones in the $200 range, I really obviously would need an amp of some sort, but I don't know what. I imagine suggestions for amps would depend on the headphones, so any help would be much appreciated.

I really don't have a hard budget for the whole setup, just "reasonable and prudent" (I mean, I might be willing to go up to $400 or $500, but really can't see myself spending more than that).

Thanks in advance,
~KS

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I really can't help you with selecting headphones or amps, however I can help you find a soundcard. If in the short term all you need is stereo output I highly reccomend trying the AV-710 (see this setup guide to get the highest sound quality). The rear-surround channel on the AV-710 is suppost to sound just as good as the M-Audio Revolution, and be competetive with the Terratec 6Fire. If you want to spend $165+ then I reccomend the EMU 1212m which is currently one of the best sound cards on the market today (you can get it for $165 at a Guitar Center by asking for that price). It's analog outputs are stereo only so if you get speakers later on you'll need to make sure they have a digital input or get an external amp/receiver with digital input. Also, the 1212m currently will not work if you have an Audigy installed.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 4
This won't be the best setup in the whole world, but will be a huge improvement over what you are using and fits in your budget.

Go to Guitar Center and pick up the following, you'll have to haggle the price, but I didn't have much trouble doing it.

EM-U 1212m ($165)
PreSonus HP4 ($75 - $100) (Sorry, I didn't negotiate this one, as it was my first purchase there... bad me... retail is $100 I'd go in asking for $60 and see what you come up with).
Monster 1/4" Studio Link balanced cables (they come individually so you'll need two (price not negotiable) ($30 for the pair)
Then pick up a pair of HD555's. They should give you the sound you seem to be looking for. ($150)

Complete setup: $420 - $445

And let me just say... DAMN it sounds good!!!
biggrin.gif
Down the line you can upgrade to a nicer amp if you like but this is a very good setup. The PreSonus is powerful enough to drive HD650's fairly well and is dead silent (no hiss what-so-ever). If you can drop a little more coin the Mogami Balanced cables are a little nicer but will cost you another $50 (they're about $80 for the pair).

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
My second pair of Sony EX71SLs

Hello and welcome. I have the EX70s. The bass was too much for me also so I did the tape mod. Just use clear tape to cover up the holes on the outside. I havn't tried/seen the EX71s so I don't know if they have the same holes or bass.

For soundcard, get the emu 1212m. It's better to start with better source.

I can't recommend any headphones because you should try and see if you like certain ones better or not. Then get an amp based on your decision. The head-fi sponsors have good return policies. I recommend trying them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back