Overcoming relatively poor hearing in one ear
Dec 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rockofeller

Head-Fier
Hey everyone - I was just wondering if there's something I can do to my music collection to make it appropriate to my minor physical impairment. Basically, I have slight hearing loss in my right ear. By slight, I mean that it doesn't really affect me in everyday scenarios, but it does mean that I have noticeably better hearing in my left ear than in my right. For example, if I can't quite make out what a person is saying to me on the phone, I switch my phone to my left ear and things are maybe (flubbing these numbers) 20% "louder". Can I tune my digital music to reflect this hearing difference? Or will this have negative consequences for sound quality? How would I go about doing this for my music? I play music through itunes or vlc on my computer and through an ipod nano on the go. Thanks!

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
You need a balance control so you can attenuate the audio loudness from the left to match your right ear, this could be hardware or software.

if you can resolder/mod the cable, maybe you could add a impedence reducer/increaser into one side of the cable (assuming it is a dual cable phone. though getting the right volume might be tough, or maybe a inline volume control 

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
You need a balance control so you can attenuate the audio loudness from the left to match your right ear, this could be hardware or software.

if you can resolder/mod the cable, maybe you could add a impedence reducer/increaser into one side of the cable (assuming it is a dual cable phone. though getting the right volume might be tough, or maybe a inline volume control 

Its possible to make a small external balance control. Here's one.

[size=x-small][size=x-small]How do I add a balance control for headphones?
[/size]
[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]
balvol.gif
[/size]
[/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Balance controls are non-existent on most headphone amplifiers and those minimalist preamps. This circuit is one way to wire a set of balance-volume controls for headphones. The volume control should be a dual pot (audio taper). The balance control is a single pot (linear taper). The pot values shown are the smallest that are commonly available, but the circuit would probably work better if the values were lower. If the volume control is not needed, the headphones can be connected directly to the balance control. As the values of the input resistors are decreased, the balance effect will move towards the extremes of the balance control and the overall volume may be higher. [/size][/size]

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Is your hearing loss linear throughout the whole frequency range or is your hearing loss more pronounced in some frequencies than others? If the former, a simple balance control might work, if the latter, it may not be the best solution. I have similar issues, the hearing in my left ear isn't as good as thehearing in my right ear, I have tinnitis as well some hearing loss especially between 2kHz and 12kHz or so relative to my right ear.

I've considered several different options over the years, some hardware related, ranging from a 1/3 octave graphic EQ to a simple balance control, to software solutions, like re-recording my music so it matches my hearing deficiencies better, but that would be a very labor intense task, and my hearing problems aren't always exactly the same all the time. For now though I've just been living with it, it does bother me somewhat a lot of the time, but most of the time when I'm really immersed in the music I'm listening to, I don't notice it that much.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Interesting solutions so far. Thanks everyone. I think it doesn't bother me enough to bother carrying around extra hardware. I highly value the portability of my mobile setup. I'm surprised there isn't a simple software solution - like a permanent EQ. 

meithkiller: I don't really know what range my hearing loss is in. I don't know how I'd go about testing such a thing. No doctor has ever checked or diagnosed my hearing, and I have always figured it wasn't bad enough to warrant the bill and the "there's nothing we can do" that precedes it. I also have some tinnitis (that's the high pitched noise one gets in one's ear, correct?) but it doesn't occur more than once every couple of weeks for a dozen seconds or less. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 11
I've had an audiogram done by a doctor in the past to check the extent of my hearing damage, but I also have a test CD so I can do an audiogram myself at home, and it is a more complete test (tests more of the full range)  than the one the doctor did. Mine looks a little different, but I think this is the same CD I have to test my hearing, just a newer version. Well worth it IMO for anyone who appreciates music but is suffering from hearing damage or fears they might be. http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/audio.html 

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 11
For portable use, at least, pick up a player that is compatible with Rockbox.....balance control is yours, from 0-100% on whichever side you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back