Overall opinion of HD497s?
Oct 27, 2002 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

avarame

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been looking for some good headphones to use with my computer. Here's what I want:

-deep bass - not necessarily louder bass, but when the music goes boom i want to hear boom all the way down the spectrum. e.g., between Koss TD/65s (hotter bass) and Sony MDR-7506 (deeper, softer bass), I choose the Sonys.
-detailed highs - once again, not necessarily loud, but clean and crisp without being too sharp. MDR-7506 is good.
-comfortable. I've tried the Senn EH2200s... good god. NO pressure, NO weight. They are the yardstick by which I measure other cans.

Here's a cross-section of my musical habits: Pink Floyd, the Doves, Radiohead, Holst (the Planets), Vivaldi, Rammstein, Crystal Method, Beatles, Jethro Tull, Nine Inch Nails, Portishead, Tool, ...

I've set my sights on Senn HD497s. They're well within my price range, and HeadRoom gives them high praise.

I have only the amp built into my computer, which I doubt is of good quality. At least it (probably) has a good power supply. It can drive Koss TD/65s no problem (which I think are rather high-impedance but I can't find specs because they're discontinued)

So, what do you all think? Are there other cans in the price range that will do as well? I have no brand loyalty, and I can afford up to about a hundred.

TIA!

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 9
I would definitely recommend the 497s... they have punchy, deep bass when driven by "weak" sources. A computer sound card or CD drive, or a portable, will do fine.

The music you named will be very nice on the 497s; in fact, they handle everything well. I've enjoyed them with everything from small-ensemble classical to full symphonic to jazz to hard rock, and they make all sound good.

I haven't tried them with movies, games, or TV yet, but if you wait a day, I'll tell you how they sound with a NASCAR race
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway... I think they'll make you very happy.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, you mentioned the V6/7506, so if you think you'll like the 497 better you may also look at the HD 280Pro. They're closed and apparently block a lot of noise. I don't know if that's what you want or not. I have not heard them, so I can't tell you anything other than to look at the spec sheet. 8-22,000hz it says. They can be had for <$100 too. Also, at 64 ohms they should be easy enough for your computer to drive fairly well. I understand they are somewhat popular for gamming.. Have fun and try not to let these guys talk you into spending an arm and a leg up front so you can make more upgrades later!
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 9
I have the 497's and they are a real good all-around HP. Your sound card should power them just fine, although they do improve with a better amp. There's another post that points out that Amazon has Sennheisers on sale now, the 497's for around $48.

The one part of your requirements that the 497 may not meet is the comfort. They do fit kind of tight. Some people complain that they are too tight. I like them like that though. When I move around, they stay put.

Oct 27, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the 497s. They sound great to me, a perfect trade-off between musicality and accuracy. Very balanced and enjoyable and a smooth midrange with airy but not harsh highs and solid bass and not boomy in the mid-bass, etc. etc. Comfort is an issue. I have worked diligently on STRETCHING them and it has been well worth it. Stretching them is a process, not an event.
biggrin.gif

Other people find them comfortable out of the box, apparently people with big heads. A paradox for you.
eek.gif

So the bottom line is that they sound great and comfort is something you can improve with diligence. Keeping them on a basketball helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 9
The 497's are not going to give you a jump in performance, just a "different" type of sound.

Save your money. Stay with the Sony V6's until you are ready for better cans - ie. Senn 580's or something equal/better. Maybe look into the Beyer velour pads to up the comfort level on the V6's, and maybe change the sound a little bit.

Just MO.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 9
The 497s and the V6s are very different phones and both quite excellent. One's not a step up from the other, it's a step to the side!
biggrin.gif
On the other hand, IMHO, it's pretty tough to go a clear step up from either one. I have both, and really enjoy having both sounds, both compelling in their own way but very different from one another.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, the 7506 isn't mine, I got to borrow it from a friend for a few weeks. It's very nice, and if the 497 is of similar quality, I'll love 'em.

As for comfort, I should mention that the *other* end of the spectrum is the Koss TD/65s I have now. Jesus, they're like some kind of medieval torture device... they press hard - more than about 45min at a time, and my head gets sore - but they slip around (AND they make annoying metal squeaky noises when they rub against the legs of my glasses)

Looks like the 497s are a really good choice for me. $48 at amazon, you say? I'll look into that.

Thanks, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back