Over-the-Ear Headphones Recommendations: £50 Budget
Dec 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

louiseharatt

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I'm new to all of this so please be kind! :)

I am looking to purchasing some headphones for myself. No longer will I put up with Apple Earphones, and my old pair of Sony's fell apart.

I'd like to spend no more than £50 really. Best value recommendations is what I'm really looking for and I thought what better place to get some great interested peoples advice!

Over-the-Ear would be main preference. I don't need massive noise-cancellation, but it doesn't hurt if they have great isolation. Cable length isn't too big an issue for me either.

I like the look of the latest version of Sennheiser's HD215s, but can't really justify £60.

I'm torn because I can't really justify that much on headphones anyway, but I feel that I'd like to move one step further away from the £20 mark ones.

Thank you all for your time, hope to hear from you soon,
Louise :wink: x

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 9
Not too familiar with headphone prices and availability in the UK, but I'll suggest the Creative Aurvana Live and the JVC HA-S500.

Again, I don't know if these are £50 or less for sure (I'm going by USD prices) but both are well known for being some of the best headphones in their price range.

Some reviews:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

and the S500 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-25th-winners-announced

You can find a bunch of impressions linked in the first post.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 9
Take a look at Audio Technicas' entry level lineup... The ATH-SJ55 (on-ear, which might be more practical if you plan on taking them anywhere) is within your budget. Otherwise the ATH-T400 (over ear) might be a decent choice, or if you can stretch your budget a little bit, the ATH-T500, ATH-A500 and ATH-AD500 come within reach. 

Keep in mind that 60 quid might be hard to justify now, but the step up from factory stock earbuds to this class of headphones will make you hunger for more for sure...

Welcome to Head-fi... Sorry about your wallet...

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Another vote for the Creative Aurvana Live ... a little over your budget (currently the best part of £60 from Amazon, although the prices fluctuates) but really very very good for the money.

They sound fantastic, are incredibly comfortable, don't need amping and offer acceptable isolation.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Panasonic RP-HTX7 are good for £30ish and can be improved by modding them a little

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I've never been a fan of lower end sennheisers...

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 9
okay let's mix things up a little. £60 max. What do you think the best headphones you can get for this budget? top 3 recommended choices and reasoning behind from each person would be awesome!

Louise :wink: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back