Over the ear headphone with Porta Pro sound
Aug 30, 2020 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pannayar

100+ Head-Fier
Among my headphones, almost all of the portable type (the PX100, KSC75, Porta Pro and the JVC flats JVC HAS160 which I got today), I have gone back and forth and seem to eventually prefer the "warm" (though a loss of sparkle detail) signature of the Porta Pro.

A couple of days back I got my first over the ear (Tascam TH02) and I like the over the ear kind a lot now, so easy to put it on and not have to place it correctly over the ear etc... Somehow I am not that satisfied with the Tascam TH02 sound, may be is true (neutral) sound as close to the source is, I don't know.

Anyway, I am now eager to find/buy a over ear phone which has a sound signature closest to the Porta Pro.

Which (budget around $100) over-the-ear phones are close to the Porta Pro in sound signature?

I said $100 so I can know what are the ones on that range, however ideal would be $50 ish.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 19
For those that don't know what the Porta Pro sound is, can you describe it? that might help people help you find the right headphone....What are you looking for?

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 19
Any recommendations? For a over the ear headphone in the $50 price range, which has the curve leaning towards the mid/low end? And not so much of the high end sparkle/bright sound. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Philips SHP9500 comes pretty close to your needs at $75.
It's more punchy and detailed than the Tascam, and actually fairly close in tonality 'flavour' to the PortaPro.

The Tascam actually comes closer in tonality to the Audeze LCD-2, but no where near the same level of detail and acoustic presentation.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 19
I just ended up ordering a SHP9500 from amazon (used like new condition for $50). There was also the 9500S at almost the same price, but while I was trying to read information about the S version and decide which one to choose, they were gone fast.

I am curious if the S is any better (particularly in how it sounds). Based on searching there is a frequency response range difference mainly. I very much doubt if that translates to any real world sound difference.

What I found about the differences in spec 9500S vs (non S 9500)
  • frequency response: 6-35000Hz (15-35000Hz)
  • sensitivity: 102dB (101dB)
  • cable length: 1.5m (3m)
  • no 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter
I would have preferred the shorter 1.5m cable.

Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 19
This question has been explored deeply. The answer is, there is no difference between the 2 headphones, other than the stock cable they came with.
There are lots of mods to make the 9500 better. Have fun.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 19
9500s.jpg

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Beautiful. I read the cushions on these are not replaceable. I suppose that was for the faint of heart LOL.

I see MDR7506 in your signature. The V6 / 7506 is in my "wish list". How does this SHP9500 compare to that in your opinion?
They're still not replaceable, but the pads pictured are big enough to sit over the actual headphone.
It's a bit crude, but realistically it's not a headphone most would ever wear outside.... even though it does look good enough to.

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 19
Beautiful. I read the cushions on these are not replaceable. I suppose that was for the faint of heart LOL.

I see MDR7506 in your signature. The V6 / 7506 is in my "wish list". How does this SHP9500 compare to that in your opinion?
after all this time that myth still persists? The earpads are easily replaceable. It's not a crude solution, you simply pop off the old ones, plastic ring attached, stretch the new pads over the outer cups. I am pretty sure Brainwavz makes a large round pad that fits even better than the one in the picture. I used a generic pad I got off of Ali for $12 and stretched and manipulated it on...it was a tedious process.
I like my 7506, but I rarely use them. The cable is a nuisance, so I modded it to be removable, the pads that come with it aren't great, so you would want to replace them...and not to sound like a shill, but Brainwavz now makes a line of replacement pads specifically for them, I almost never use closed back headphones anymore, so they don't get much use. I couldn't tell you how they compare, I sold my 9500s, Also, it wouldn't be helpful to you because both headphones were modified, so the comparisons would not apply to stock headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 19
after all this time that myth still persists? The earpads are easily replaceable. It's not a crude solution, you simply pop off the old ones, plastic ring attached, stretch the new pads over the outer cups.
There is no myth.
You literally just supported my statement by saying "stretch the new pads over the outer cups".
Unlike most other headphones that have a pad mounting system or flange, this is archaic and ugly by comparison and denying what it truly is doesn't change the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back