Over the ear HeadPhone for computer?
May 7, 2013 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

coldhart

New Head-Fier
im thinking about buying Over the ear HeadPhone (or in-ear-phone) for pc since my brainwavz m2 got damaged.

Purpose :-
Music (Rock, hip hop, rap rarely pop), movie, gaming, tutorial only on my desktop & need for very long use per day (10 to 12 hour)

need headphone with really clear sound & punchy bass.

Im not much of the audio expert but after googling & i made list on whatever i know (feel free to suggest some other headphone below 40$)
1>How is Sony XB30EX Extra-Bass Stereo Headphone, Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision earphone, SIGNATURE ACOUSTICS C-12 Elements Wooden IEMs ,Sennheiser HD 202 II & HD 201 which is better in terms of quality of sound, build quality & comfortable for long use?
2>i heard that over the ear gives very good audio quality & noise isolation compare to in ear earphone is it true?
3>is over ear headphone comfortable enough for long use or they make ears sweaty?

Thanks in advance

May 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
3>is over ear headphone comfortable enough for long use or they make ears sweaty?

While I like and prefer IEMs (earphones) much of the time, I'd say that you probably don't want to have them in your ear for 10~12 hours a day.  Actually, you probably don't want to wear ANY headphone/earphone for that long every day, but you'll probably start to get comfort and moisture issues with IEMs sooner than circumaural (around-the-ear) headphones.

Quote:
2>i heard that over the ear gives very good audio quality & noise isolation compare to in ear earphone is it true?

There's no hard and fast rule on this.  Audio quality and isolation tend to vary more from model to model as opposed to type of headphone.

Quote:
1>How is Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision earphone, SIGNATURE ACOUSTICS C-12 Elements Wooden IEMs

Haven't heard any of these so I can't say.

Quote:
1>How is Sony XB30EX Extra-Bass Stereo Headphone, Sennheiser HD 202 II & HD 201 which is better in terms of quality of sound, build quality & comfortable for long use?

The Sony XB60EX is better than the XB30EX in terms of clarity.  I would definitely opt for the XB60EX over the XB30EX.  Amazon's pricing on it has been fluctuating lately, but you can usually find it for around $40 these days.  The Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202 don't sound very good to me, with the former being a bit dull and the latter being a bit too bassy and muddy.

Quote:
im thinking about buying Over the ear HeadPhone (or in-ear-phone) for pc since my brainwavz m2 got damaged.

Music (Rock, hip hop, rap rarely pop), movie, gaming, tutorial only on my desktop & need for very long use per day (10 to 12 hour)

need headphone with really clear sound & punchy bass.

(feel free to suggest some other headphone below 40$)

Given all of the above (including your budget) I'd say that the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S might work well for you.  Here are some reviews and impressions on it:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews

May 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 11
thanks warrenpchi for reply & valuable advice

Quote:

While I like and prefer IEMs (earphones) much of the time, I'd say that you probably don't want to have them in your ear for 10~12 hours a day.  Actually, you probably don't want to wear ANY headphone/earphone for that long every day, but you'll probably start to get comfort and moisture issues with IEMs sooner than circumaural (around-the-ear) headphones.

I were using Brainwavz m2 for 10 to 14 hr daily for last 2 years currently im using creative ep630 which i were using b4 that but now they sound very plain & dull

Quote:
Haven't heard any of these so I can't say.

im not expert in audiophile devices but after searching on google i was thinking that Sennheiser was very famous Audio manufacturing company.

Quote:
The Sony XB60EX is better than the XB30EX in terms of clarity.  I would definitely opt for the XB60EX over the XB30EX.  Amazon's pricing on it has been fluctuating lately, but you can usually find it for around $40 these days.  The Sennheiser HD 201 and HD 202 don't sound very good to me, with the former being a bit dull and the latter being a bit too bassy and muddy.

XB60ex is ~50$
frown.gif

Quote:
Given all of the above (including your budget) I'd say that the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S might work well for you.  Here are some reviews and impressions on it:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S not available here any other suggestion

May 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
thanks warrenpchi for reply & valuable advice

You're welcome of course! 
smile.gif

Quote:
I were using Brainwavz m2 for 10 to 14 hr daily for last 2 years currently im using creative ep630 which i were using b4 that but now they sound very plain & dull

Wow!  Okay, so we're not ruling out IEMs then.

Quote:
im not expert in audiophile devices but after searching on google i was thinking that Sennheiser was very famous Audio manufacturing company.

It is, but many of their lower priced offerings aren't very good (IMO).

Quote:

XB60ex is ~50$
frown.gif

frown.gif
  That sucks.  BTW, what general area are you in (Europe, Asia, etc.)?

Quote:
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S not available here any other suggestion

Hmm... I'm gonna have to think about this some more.  I'm inclined to say the RHA MA350 as that offers tremendous bang-for-the-buck.

May 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm not sure what would be available to you in India without massive import taxes or shipping charges. 
frown.gif

May 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Sennheiser HD 439 Headphone  - 4990
Audio Technica ath t500 - 4200
Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Audio Technica ATH-M35 - 5302
Audio Technica ATH-AD500 Audiophile Headphone - 5197

I increased my budget bcoz in ear are not that sturdy enough & non repairable so tell me which 1 is better in terms of overall audio quality & Quality of bass (need punchy bass but not overwhelming)
gonna buy from here or any other over ear headphone from site below
http://www.proaudiohome.com/Headphones/Headphone

max Rs 5300

Music (Rock, hip hop, rap rarely pop), movie, gaming, tutorial only on my desktop

May 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Wow, I haven't heard any of the ones you mentioned specifically.  There is a huge gap in my listening experience when it comes to A-T.  However, looking at what else was in the shop, within the target budget, I'd probably say the Koss PortaPro.

May 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 11
newbie here:  I am also in the market for some inexpensive over-the-are headphones to replace my Senn HD428 (that I found a bit dull and just gave it to my dad) for listening pop music from my PC or TV and smartphone.  

I then stumbled upon the thread(s) on the new JVC on-ear carbon nanotube HAS400 (30mm - $30 @ amazon) and HAS500 (40mm - $50 @ amazon market place japan import). These have rave reviews from the head-fiers here (just check the 400+ thread(s) and you will see).  

And that leads me to search for similar over-the-ear models from JVC as well and found the JVC HAS600 (40mm carbon - $30 @ amazon) thread(s) describing it as comparable to the higher-end full-size model JVC HARX900 (50mm Neodymium - $55 @ amazon).  Some head-fiers here reported that they still prefer the sound from the JVC HARX700 (50mm Neodymium - $35 @ amazon).  On the other hand, neither the RX700 nor RX900 are foldable as compared to the HAS600 (along with short 4ft cord) which is more suitable for portability:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533837/jvc-ha-s600b-review-and-pics

In short, in the $30-$35 price range, the on-ear JVC HAS400 gets most recommendations from the folks here.  For over-the-ear, the full-size non-foldable but more balanced HARX700 seems to have better sound than the foldable but bassy HAS600 (which can be modded and improved by obstructing one of the two air vent holes inside as reported).  

I am still dancing b/w the later two as I didn't like the compression pain by the on-ear ones that I had tried in the past.  From the pics and reviews, I'm leaning towards the JVC HA-S600 with the extended oval shape (that seems to fully covers the ears) vs. the RX700 with the round shape that I am not too sure if it would still have some pressure contact against part of the ears (that I try very hard to avoid).  

Just wonder if any JVC HA-RX700 owners can confirm if this later one is comfortable to wear? any compression pain against the ears after 3-4 hrs of usage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back