1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Over Ears w/ Good Isolation That Sound Similar to Porta Pro?

1. creaturekyle
    Hi guys,

I've been haunting many threads trying to find some good suggestions on my own and just haven't been able to get any solid answers.

I love the warmth and bass thump of the Porta Pros, and the treble roll off is perfect for me, I'm pretty sensitive to treble. I love that sound signature, and I'm trying to find something closed back that I can use for traveling, that will give me enough isolation to use on a plane. Trying to stay under $200, but if you've got recommendations that cost more, go ahead and send them my way!

Any suggestions are be extremely appreciated!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. serman005
    Budget?

3. creaturekyle
    My budget is pretty open, but I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

4. creaturekyle
    My budget is pretty open, but I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

5. serman005
    Check out a SoundMAGIC HP151. It is my go-to at under $150. NAD HP50 is also quite good.

6. creaturekyle
    Thank you so much for the suggestions, I've never heard of either of these before. Going to check them right away!

7. creaturekyle
    Oh man, at least in terms of frequency response, the NAD HP50 looks almost spot on. Going to see if I can find a place around here to try them out, there are a few NAD official dealers in my area. Thanks again!

8. serman005
    Let us know how they work out.

9. creaturekyle
    Went to a local place that had the HP50 on demo and just couldn't hear the bass response I wanted. Really bummed, I came home and did some research and discovered that because I wear glasses with pretty thick frames, I lose 10-20db of bass response from almost all closed back headphones because they don't get a good seal.

Sounds like noise cancelling headphones, probably the Sony 1000XM3, are going to be my only option since the ANC somehow keeps the bass from leaking out with a bad seal? Big shout out to https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/ for all the detailed frequency response graphs comparing seals on closed back headphones. These helped me a lot.

10. serman005
    Good luck with those.

11. creaturekyle
    Thanks again for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. If it weren't for my glasses they would have been stellar.