Over ears and glasses... people's experiences?

1. Grimbles
    Im coming acroas a bit of a problem somebody else must have solved and just wondered what others had done?

In short, i tend to use my hd600s in my office whilst i am working. This also involves wearing my glasses (taking them off aint an option, im over minus 10 in both eyes). My problem is that i find the hd600s squeeze the arms and offset my glasses a little which can be a bit uncomfy and give me headaches as im not looking through the sweet spot on my glasses.

Thoughts and advice other than "wear contact lenses" or "use iems or on ears"?!

Cheers!

2. nordkapp
    Grado. Period.

3. cossix
    I think on-ears may be the best bet. The 600 definitely is known for its clamp, so I can see it not playing well with glasses :/

4. RRod
    I wear my PM-3s for long stretches without glasses discomfort, as the padding is good at conforming to the frame. I actually found Grados annoying with glasses, as they tended to push the top of my ear hard into the frame.

5. ahmadfaizadnan
    HD6XX user and wear glasses here. I don't have a issue with that though but maybe you can extend the headphone a bit. Not sure if that help much but getting IEM is a good choice actually and my westone 30 has a similar sound signature with HD650.

6. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    1. Loosen the clamp force on the HD600. Fully extend the arms to expose the metal then bend outwards at the center of each arm, holding for 10secs at a time, then do both sides closer to the gimbals. Repeat on all four pressure points.

Here's what they look like after loosening the clamp. Interior of the box shows the cavity where they would be in and how narrow they would be normally.
    [​IMG]

2. Get different glasses. I reduced the clamp on my HD600 to reduce the clamp force against my head, not because it was interfering with my eyeglasses, which was not the problem even when I wore them tight. All my glasses always had thin arms but they bow outwards away from the temples (I have really acidic sweat), but all in plastic, not metal. Bring your headphones to the optometrist and try the frames with the headphones on.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Grimbles likes this.
  7. Music Alchemist
    I wear glasses and can't stand wearing them with most headphones. Although I usually simply take them off, there are other solutions:

• Get the type of frameless glasses that attach to your nose like Morpheus from The Matrix.
    • Get headphones that don't touch the frames of your glasses. (The Koss KTXPRO1 and Porta Pro are examples.)
    • Move the frames of your glasses out from and over the headphones. (This can only be done with some.)
    • Use glasses with very thin frames.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  8. monsterzero
    stretch out the clamping force of the vice-like HD600s
    or
    Put your headphones on first and then set the part of your glasses that go on your ears on top of the headphone pads instead.

9. Grimbles
    Guys (and gals), massive thank you for a mixture of helpful and amusing responses. A few specific additional comments below:

Definitive :)

Thanks - will consider for my next purchase, when i will go to the store with glasses, not contact lenses on.

Mate thanks for the epic response and the pic. Will give this a go as i think the best overall solution for me at the moment.

Hehe not an option at the moment - my recent audio kit splurge means i need to live with the ones ive got for now. Next pair i buy, headphones will be a consideration.

you think those are real glasses youre wearing?

unfortunately im far too blind for this to be workable as my lenses are super high refraction index and you get massive abberation at anything other than straight on.

10. buke9
    Yes I would go with stretch option but do follow those instructions and only bend the metal parts if you grad hold of the plastic it can break.

11. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Make sure you only bend the metal parts and not the plastic parts.

When you get glasses, apart from the frame have them measure where your pupils are relative to the glass with headphones on. The actual dead center of the glass where the correction is best is usually set lower, ie, the assumption is they're for reading, which is why you can see some people who don't have the tallest nasal bones walking with their head turned up and eyes down. I have themset the center of the pre-cut glass higher on the frame otherwise I'll have to angle my head like that just to read where on the freeway I'm supposed to get off (pushing them up isn't an option since my tiny nasal bone means pushing up also means pushing back against my eyelashes).

In your case, if you don't drive with those glasses on, you could have them set lower for reading.

12. Grimbles
    This is a fair point but (from a personal perspective) centre/looking forwards is where they tend to centre my pupils. I'm a lawyer so do a lot of document and screen work (c.10 hours most days) and because of the mixture of high prescription, astigmatisms and high refraction index lenses, coupled with the need to use screens, work on docs, drive and play racket sports, the sweet spot on my glasses is pretty small and so tends to be set at "straight forward" as opposed to a shade lower. Next time I buy some glasses, I am going to splash out on the lenses with dual focal points (not bi or varifocal, the "wide view" tech) and have a second focal point lower on the lens (so I effectively have a large cylinder of sweet spot from slightly above straight on to looking down). This is probs a new year purchase, so for now I think I will bend the hd 600s as you have recommended.

13. jfvny
    As a glasses wearer too, I've found over ears to be much better than on ears - typically can't wear the latter for more than an hour before they get uncomfortable. Stretching the headband a little so they're not as tight around your head is also a good suggestion.

I'd recommend more comfortable pads too - Brainwavz HM5 pads are really comfy (I've used the pleather ones), and fit most headphones. A quick search shows other head-fi members have used their pads on their HD600s too, so compatibiltiy shouldn't be an issue. Do note that using different pads will alter the sound signature of your cans though; how much they change depends on how similar the pads are.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Grimbles likes this.
  14. Grimbles
    All, by way of update, I used @ProtegeManiac 's bending trick. I fully extended and did only one bend, and it has made a massive difference. Just been working for the last hour and a half with the cans on and MUCH better. I'm going to do a smaller, further bend but I think this will perfect it.

MANY thanks for the practical tips :)

George Taylor likes this.