Over-ear - Closed Headphone under $100, could stretch to $150
Nov 2, 2016 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Reginald II

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Sorry for my english. I'm pretty new to this forum and I want your help in looking for a over-ear, closed back headphone.

I listen to rnb, rock, metal, hiphop, acoustics, EDM and classical music. This is probably all genres. So most likely, a versatile headphone that can handle all genres.

Anyways, I just bought a Philips hp 9500 for 60 dollars in newegg and it was good. Im just looking for a closed version so anyone wont hear me listening to music. And i hope it would also have discount on black friday.

And also doesnt require amps or DAC and stuffs. Good comfort for long hours of listening. Im gonna use it on my phone, laptop and ipod.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey, I too love listening music and every time I put on my headphones and listen to my favorite music.

I have Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B Closed-Back Headphone. It gives me the amazing experience of listening music without distracting background noise. It's a lightweight and compact headphone also the shape of this headphone easily fits on all sizes of the ear.

I love this headphone. 

About over ear headphones, I have read this article; they have provided lots of option with exact reviews. You can take a look at here - Best Over-Ear Headphones. Hope you will get something better for you.

Cheers 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 11
I had my own research and these are the following headphones I have interest with

NVX Audio XPT100
Shure H840
Audio Technica ATH-m40x

Which of them should I get?

I know the H840 is a bit expensive but if it's worth it, i would definitely buy it.

Anyone?

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
  Thank you sir. But is there any over-ear closed back headphones at that price that is better than m40x? Its around 84 dollars in amazon right now.

I'm sure there are, but I don't know of them. (I prefer the M40x over the M50x too.) My favorite closed headphone, the Yamaha HPH-MT220, was available for $150 at one point, but was discontinued and is now $250 or more, except from Amazon UK, from which it costs about $185.

By the way, the XPT100 has some of the best isolation. It's comfortable and looks cool too. I'm just not crazy about the sound.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 11
If you can live with the size / lack of folding... etc

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's ... in fairness they'd be better with an amp..but I can use mine with my galaxy S6 edge ...although I do have to crank up the volume towards max

super comfortable good isolation, I also own the ATH M50X and if folding isn't a concern / general portability... I'd take the DT770's all day anyday.   They are also just in budget @$145~ at amazon ATM.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 11

I'm sure there are, but I don't know of them. (I prefer the M40x over the M50x too.) My favorite closed headphone, the Yamaha HPH-MT220, was available for $150 at one point, but was discontinued and is now $250 or more, except from Amazon UK, from which it costs about $185.

By the way, the XPT100 has some of the best isolation. It's comfortable and looks cool too. I'm just not crazy about the sound.

Thanks for your input, I'm gonna put m40x on my priority list.

If you can live with the size / lack of folding... etc

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's ... in fairness they'd be better with an amp..but I can use mine with my galaxy S6 edge ...although I do have to crank up the volume towards max

super comfortable good isolation, I also own the ATH M50X and if folding isn't a concern / general portability... I'd take the DT770's all day anyday.   They are also just in budget @$145~ at amazon ATM.

May i ask why the 80 ohms instead of 32 and 250?

What amp would you recommend to pair with dt 770?

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 11

Thanks for your input, I'm gonna put m40x on my priority list.

May i ask why the 80 ohms instead of 32 and 250?

What amp would you recommend to pair with dt 770?

In my personal experience I just like the sound from the 80's more.. I feel like the 32's lose quality to get the 32Ohms and I find the 250's have harsh treble.

Amp wise I have had all my own stuff awhile so it probably isn't super relevant.. but at home I used them with either a vintage receiver or my FiiO E07K/E09K (which i'm pretty sure are discontinued now).    Traveling I usually use my Elcom BT headphone amp... which probably isn't the very best..but is pretty convenient and with the apt-x it sounds pretty good to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-receiver-amplifier-class1-black/dp/B00JUGSUQG

I also have no major complaints using them with the Firestone audio fireye mini my wife gave me and a FiiO E11.

perhaps someone else could suggest more contemporary amp choices however?   but the 80's are not that hard to drive so probably most amps would be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back