Over-ear closed cans with large soundstage?
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I recently picked up this Denon AH-NC800 noise canceller with some cosmetic damage for cheap. There is a non NC model that looks very similar to this one in the Shootout thread where the soundstage is described as "cavernous" and I think the same is true for this NC one. And I love it!

My problem is that these things are basically to get out on the train and airplane and hen put away in their travelling case when done. Cheap plastics, fragile, can't be worn around the neck when not in use for portable use.

So my question is any suggestions for an over ear headphone with a large soundstage and good instrument seperation? It's ok if it is unrealistic, but the phones shouldnt be too dark, have some sparkle, bass can be loose. Vocals should sound natural though, I hate nasal vocals or otherwise recessed colored vocals.

Any ideas for semi-budget options? doesnt need to be a tank like my amperiors but just less compressed and not feel like they could fall apart any second like the Denons.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
AKG K550

Both have a pretty large soundstage and are sparkly.
My vote would go to the A900Xs though, I find their reproduction of vocals more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back