Over ear cans $200-300 for gaming/music
Dec 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kenneth Skog

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I´ve been going through old posts on this fine forum without getting any smarter when it comes to my case.

I´m looking for a over-ear closed can that atleast in the beginning can be driven by my
internal Creative SoundblasterX A-5 soundcard.. https://en.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5.

It´s supposed to be their first sound card with dedicated X-amp for cans. It is also supposed to have no problems working with 1 Ohm output impendance and drive cans with 16-600 ohm impedance without any problems.

Problem today is that i am sitting with a cheap RIG 500 headset as my main music and gaming headset, and as you probably understand its not up to the job with a clear but harsh sound which is lacking bass.

So, now i´m looking for an upgrade and since i am listening to music 99% when im in front of the computer, i´m going for a pair of dedicated cans instead of a new headset.

I listen to Spotify/Tidal and my music taste is very diverse with everything from 80:s to rock/metal and dance/techno.

Throw in a lot of ambient music and some Enya and you see the it is going to be able to handle a broad range of music.

What i´m looking for is a can with a nice bass foundation and that´s not to bright. I like B&W loudspeakers so maybe i should go for a pair of B&W P7? Or maybe a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2? Or even a pair of secondhand HD600/650? I don´t want the sound to get to boring either, so what am i looking for?

Maximum budget is about $200-250 and i am no stranger to buy on the secondhand market.

Been reading like crazy but i´m getting nowhere so i´m hoping for you guys to send me in the right direction.

Pardon the bad english, im Swedish.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 19
You live in Sweden.
Guess you like paying a lot of taxes :wink:
Can you list the brands of headphones you have access to?
What would be the taxes/import fees for $150 headphones, as the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X is a great buy.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
Massdrop is not allowed to direct ship those outside of the USA.
But they can be sent to business (in the USA) that for a fee, can then ship the headphones to you.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 19
You live in Sweden.
Guess you like paying a lot of taxes :wink:
Can you list the brands of headphones you have access to?
What would be the taxes/import fees for $150 headphones, as the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X is a great buy.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
Massdrop is not allowed to direct ship those outside of the USA.
But they can be sent to business (in the USA) that for a fee, can then ship the headphones to you.
He wants closed

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 19
I´m looking for a over-ear closed can that atleast in the beginning can be driven by my
internal Creative SoundblasterX A-5 soundcard.. https://en.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5.
---
I listen to Spotify/Tidal and my music taste is very diverse with everything from 80:s to rock/metal and dance/techno.

Throw in a lot of ambient music and some Enya and you see the it is going to be able to handle a broad range of music.

Audio Technica ATH-A500X but you have to rely on EQ for metal and techno. Also for SFX but unless you really hit overexcursion or clipping you'd tend to notice driver distortion on an explosion than on music.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 19
Hi,
I´ve been going through old posts on this fine forum without getting any smarter when it comes to my case.
I´m looking for a over-ear closed can that at least in the beginning can be driven by my
internal Creative Sound BlasterX A-5 sound card.. https://en.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5.
Maximum budget is about $200-250 and i am no stranger to buy on the secondhand market.
Been reading like crazy but i´m getting nowhere so i´m hoping for you guys to send me in the right direction.
Pardon the bad english, im Swedish.
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 headphones.
Maybe the Audio Technica ATH-A990Z

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Don’t sleep on the Sony MDR-1AM2. Very efficient, excellent passive noise isolation, deep and impactful bass, very fun. I love mine. This was my first Sony audio product and I just bought them like 3 weeks ago. I liked them so much that in that same three weeks I also bought a MDR-Z7M2 headphone and a NW-ZX300 DAP. I know I personally have been sleeping on Sony and their higher end head-if products but I’m not anymore!

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 19
Haha taxes aint that bad here as people think. :p

Cheers for the answers guys, if the right model came up maybe i could consider open cans too.

Gonna check those Sonys also.

What do you guys think of the B&W P7? Thinking about buying a pair of secondhand...

Sennheiser Momentum 2? Any good? I wan´t a good bass foundation without sacrificing the mid/high to much..

DT 770 Pro 80ohm, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 19
Haha taxes aint that bad here as people think. :p
Cheers for the answers guys, if the right model came up maybe i could consider open cans too.
Gonna check those Sonys also.
What do you guys think of the B&W P7? Thinking about buying a pair of secondhand...
Sennheiser Momentum 2? Any good? I wan´t a good bass foundation without sacrificing the mid/high to much..
DT 770 Pro 80ohm, any thoughts?
I would really try and talk you into getting the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP151, over the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Dec 16, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 19
So....I bought a pair of Sennheiser M2 and got a bit underwhelmed by the performance. Think they have a very narrow soundstage and treble is pretty non existent to my ears. The bass is also bit to tamed for my taste.

Should i go for a pair of DT 770 Pro instead since i want more bass and a bit more detailed top? Or do they suffer the same problem with a narrow soundstage since theyre a closed design to?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 19
Never tried the Senn M2's, nor some of the other recommendations, but personally I like the DT 770. There may be better cans for the money... not sure, but I've had 770s for years, and always been solid for me. Lower impedance pros usually skew heavier on the low end, and they're easier to drive. They aren't particularly open in terms of soundstage, but I think that's true of most closed-back designs.

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 19
The best closed back I've owned that won't break the bank, is far and away the Beoplay H6. Soundstage is actually not bad. They have been discontinued, but can still be found. I don't game, but they should perform well. In summary, nothings really lacking with these headphones in any area.

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 19
Cheers for the answers guys. Starting to realise that to get a more open soundstage a open can is the way to go, but the problem is that my listening position is right next to where the kids plays, so if a bit worried i would hear them more then the music.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 19
119D4C44-3B31-4CBC-9DA7-7BF0E5E96C5D.jpeg

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Cheers for the answers guys. Starting to realise that to get a more open soundstage a open can is the way to go, but the problem is that my listening position is right next to where the kids plays, so if a bit worried i would hear them more then the music.
Yeah stay away from an open back if you're in a noisy environment. I actually love the intimate "in your head" sound of a good closed back or IEM. Also if you klike bass nothing hits like a closed back. I'm telling you: check out that Sony MDR-1AM2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back