Over-ear <200$ cans recommendations?
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

spicypepperoni

New Head-Fier
As a newbie to the headphone world, I do not know much about what sound signature I want, but I have some experience with the Bose qc15s and I find them comfortable and good enough. My ears do get slightly heated and they can hurt sometimes but it's probably because I'm wearing them wrong.

I was looking for some portable headphones that are comfortable for extended periods that can be used in public. If they are fold-able that would be a bonus, but not necessary. I do however want them not to be too big. I want good noise isolation and a comfortable fit on my head.

For sound quality, I don't know much, but I think most headphones in this price range are decent to great(that's what I think anyway)so I am not that concerned.

During my research I found that the Beyer-dynamic COPs were a pair that match my needs, except for portability because they look quite bulky.

Thanks in advance for taking your time and responding, I hope my specifications were enough but it's my first time posting so by all means criticize me.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I haven't really tried any of these, but from what I've heard, the ATH M50X ($149), Shure SRH840 ($179), Beyerdynamic DT770 ($179), and ATH-MSR7 ($199) are all fantastic for the price so they're definitely worth looking into.
The DT770's are a tad bulky though so I'm not sure it fits your requirements. Either way, you're best off trying them on before committing to any one. They're all really popular so you shouldn't have any problem finding a store that sells some combination or all of them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Check out the SoundMAGIC HP151 and the AKG K545. Both fold and both sound terrific. The SoundMAGIC are the less bulky of the two but sound quality is probably about equivalent between the two. The DT770 will likely require an amplifier to reach full potential, FWIW. The M50x has somewhat bloated bass, IMO (I own it). The MSR7 is a wee bit bright on top, IMHO. Just so you know.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for responding! Certainly helped a lot. I recently picked up the HD 4.40bt and they fit my requirements pretty well. I saw that they didn't have the greatest sound quality or the best comfort, but I think the fold-able aspect and the Bluetooth make up for it. They were the only ones that are transportable when I visited a Sennheiser store. They did cost 183$ which is 33$ more than listed on the amazon store. All your recommendations were excellent and maybe I can use them for future reference! (BTW I live in a foreign country so finding even the popular headphones are practically impossible. I visited like 3 departments store and couldn't find a single one of the recommendations, so I visited a Sennheiser store on the way to somewhere else)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back