Output Impedance and Planar Magnetics
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #16 of 20
Read my post please. I did the 250w calculation, but the mistake you are making is that you don't have control of the load impedance. You have a fixed load (your headphones) that you are trying to drive, and it is the same no matter your source. To deliver maximum per to a fixed load, you want as near a zero ohm source as you can get.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #17 of 20
Read my post please. I did the 250w calculation, but the mistake you are making is that you don't have control of the load impedance. You have a fixed load (your headphones) that you are trying to drive, and it is the same no matter your source. To deliver maximum per to a fixed load, you want as near a zero ohm source as you can get.

Or a source with 3 times the voltage and matched impedance = higher net load power than near zero source.  This is meaningless circular reasoning.

You don't get to vary source impedance.  If you have such a source (think light dimmer switch) you really consider the variable part as part of the load.  The variable part will always have a minimum (can't have zero source as discussed) and again maximum power is to set it to minimum and match the load.  

I really don't agree with your general statement.  A little added source resistance could just as well be good as bad.  It tends to limit current and high currents or voltages tend to go non-linear and lead to distortion.  Just look at the most linear operating range of both your source and load, and then adjust (by voltage or series resistance if needed) to run in the sweet spot.  If you have to push it nonlinear to get it loud enough, get a bigger amp.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 20

Or, to put it more simply, with a given load and power supply, one will not be able to output more power to the load by adding serial resistance*. That should be easy enough to see.

With an amplifier that has very low measured output impedance, matching it with the load does not necessarily give the maximum power output, even if overheating issues are ignored. In fact, it is rather unlikely with typical amplifiers because of current limiting and much higher open loop (without negative feedback) output impedance. Strong negative feedback reduces the output impedance (and power supply impedance, etc.) as it appears to the load by orders of magnitude, but those "hidden" impedances still count towards determining the maximum power output.

The theory of matching the load impedance with the source can "work" for maximizing the power transfer when there is a high output impedance (e.g. 100 ohms in the case of this sound card, or hundreds of ohms on the headphone output of many receivers) from an external resistor that is outside any feedback loop. However, that is not something one would normally consider a good amplifier design.

* In some uncommon cases, this can actually be useful by reducing the power dissipation on the amplifier (as some of the power at the same current output will now be dissipated by the resistor instead). However, it is a better solution to avoid the resistor, and increase the power dissipation the amplifier can handle without overheating instead, for example by improved cooling.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 20
 I remember arguing at length with somebody in PM about how to take the effect of an added resistor in a cable. because I was calculating it as an added resistance to the source(to estimate the possible change in signature in a multi BA IEM at the time), and he couldn't see it any other way than as an added load for the amp, so passing for him as more headphone resistance ^_^. so to him we were improving the damping factor by adding resistors. of course if what we're looking at is only the amp then it's ok. but for my IEM signature change, it was dead wrong.
so really a problem of picking a viewpoint.

I guess we're living the same kind of situation here. one looking from the headphone, the other from the amp.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 20
Is that what this is all about ... reactive loads? Sigh.

Again matching theory is all about linear circuits. It works as long as you stay in linear range. Again this is basic textbook stuff. No confusion.

With low impedance source if you add resistance you wont be getting max power but so what. This discussion eludes me but those are the facts. Hope it helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back