Outlaw reviews
Jun 16, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Alright, about 40 of you guys just ordered Outlaw cables. Start posting some reviews here. Comparative reviews with actual adjectives other than "good" are especially appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 79
I've already done my share of talking about the Outlaws and comparing them to other cables. Suffice it to say, I am no longer using my other cables any longer. Monster 950i, AudioQuest Coral, all are collecting dust. If I had Cardas Neutral References, the OutLaw's would be collecting dust, but that's what it would take.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I've already done my share of talking about the Outlaws and comparing them to other cables. Suffice it to say, I am no longer using my other cables any longer. Monster 950i, AudioQuest Coral, all are collecting dust. If I had Cardas Neutral References, the OutLaw's would be collecting dust, but that's what it would take.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

kw,
Have you actually auditioned the Cardas Neutral Ref? If so, how big's the gap? What makes the Cardas better to you? (Yes, I know they're at different price points--that doesn't make comparison invalid.)

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 79
Yes, I have auditioned the Cardas NRef and they are better. I would do a more lengthy comparison if I had them on hand today...

To my ears, the Cardas have better imaging and high frequency extension.

The OutLaws may have better low end impact and are almost as good in imaging as the Cardas. It is a close race. I don't have the Cardas on hand any longer.

This is not to say that the Cardas sound thin... They don't, but it seems like they had better air than the Outlaws.

The differences are not huge, but in the quest for the absolute sound...

Anyway, my $0.02.

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 79
Thanks kw, that's almost what I was expecting to hear. I'm thinking Outlaws may be perfect for my work rig where smoothness and low cost are priority and hf detail and imaging are more expendable. For the home rig, it'd definitely be stop gap until I can afford the good stuff.

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
The low end on the outlaws is AWESOME. The soundstage opened up with the outlaws as well. Let me listen some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

anderzejpw,
If you don't mind, also post what you're comparing them to.

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 79
I believe the Neutral References retail close to about $500, and go used for around $220 or so.

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 79
During 2-3 weeks I compared them to: OEM freebie, Radioshack gold, Straightwire Chorus, DIY x-cable, DIY Bolder Type 1 (upgraded to better cardas plugs). I preferred the Outlaws to all of them. The Bolder Type 1 are on the same level and a very good cable also. Bolder Type 1 had better imaging and hf detail, but bass was slightly lacking. The other cables were clearly inferior in various ways. I had been using the Straightwire for the previous year.

In a nutshell:

- OEM Freebie -
Poor construction [PVC, thin stranded copper], poor connectors [plastic/Nickel], not shielded, poor imaging, rolled off treble. Muddy.

- Radioshack Gold -
Fair construction, fair connectors [Gold plated], poor imaging, loose bass. Bland, and sometimes boomy.

- Straightwire Chorus -
Good construction [Teflon dielectric, thick PVC jacket], fair connectors [Gold plated], fair imaging, poor extension in bass, rolled off treble. Smooth, warm and enjoyable, but not the greatest detail or extension.

- DIY x-cable -
Good construction [Silver plated OFC wires braided around teflon Tube, teflon spaced shield, Techflex jacket], good connectors [inexpensive WBT locking clone], excellent imaging, very thin bass, very bright. Excellent detail and imaging, but very bright and fatiguing. For detail freaks only.

- DIY Bolder 1 -
Very good construction [Foamed teflon dielectric, teflon jacket], excellent connectors [Cardas rhodium/silver], excellent imaging, very good details, thin bass. A neutral and detailed cable that works marvelous with speakers.

- Outlaw PCA -
Good construction [Not sure what the dielectric is, continuous cast copper wires, ? jacket], good connectors [inexpensive WBT locking clone], good imaging, very good extension in bass and treble, very good details. A neutral and detailed cable that works marvelous with headphones.

With headphones I really notice any thinness in bass since there is no tactile body-moving bass to begin with. The Outlaw may be a bit loose in bass compared to the ideal, but that I can easily overlook with headphones.

All cost under $40 unless you buy the Bolder Cables commercially.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 79
Kelly: the group order will probably be placed at the end of this week, once I get money from everyone; then it will take a week for the (big-ass
wink.gif
) box to be delivered to me, then 3-4 days for Priority Mail to get to everyone. So I'd expect reviews in about 3 weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 79
It seems a few people ordered prior to the group order so I'd excpet a few people to pop in with opinions before that... but I will certainly look forward to the flood of opinions in three weeks also.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 79
Oh, and I've also promised to post a picture of what 110 cables (49 pairs of interconnects and 12 digital cables) all in one big box looks like
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back