Outdoor audio, anyone?
Apr 21, 2004 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I admit it, I am a patio-phile (please don't turn that into something obscene). Speakers in the great semi-anechoic outdoors are the sort of sound that I am after, which explains my fondness for headphones. These are my current outdoor speakers (assuming that the new image command works):

Left%20side.jpg

Right%20side.jpg

For scale, that is a Fuente Churchill smouldering on the left channel. Those are actually the small outdoor subs. Only 12" drivers, but small enough to lug to Lake Powell on a house boat. They work great with the small outdoor Klipsch speakers. I plan to drag the large subs out next weekend. They are doing too much damage indoors.

gerG

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Rain? I think I saw that happen here once. That could be a problem for the cigar
tongue.gif

Actually the subs are mostly water tight, and they get rained on all the time. They are marine coated on the inside, and a fresh coat of urethane on the outside is enough to protect even that miserable MDF crap that I used (couldn't get 1" baltic birch at the time). The ports have a 90 in them that turns upward. That keeps out water, rodents, and most bugs. I used to plug the ports when not in use, but I haven't bothered for a year now. I think that those subs have lived out there for at least 5 years now. Normally there are round grills over the woofers. Poly cones with rubber surrounds are quite durable. Foam surrounds will last about a year. Paper cones are ok if you keep them sprayed with silicone. I haven't tried aluminum cones (or cabinets) yet.

The DT towers have synthetic cabinets, so I am not worried about the occasional splash. They do have built in amps, but they are burried inside. Usually the DTs get stored indoors, and some ADS 490 cabinets live out there. I just cover each side with a heavy duty 55 gal trash bag when not in use.

Sun is the biggest problem here. When not in use I keep the speakers covered, or under a roof. The ones in the photo are actually under the end of the patio roof, so no sun most of the day. This is important for the listener as well!

Electronics are indoors, of course. There is a pair of HK 870 amps down in the garage, along with the Behringer crossover. The preamp (HK 8x0) and source (Sony 333es) are up in the house. 25' of interconnect to the crossover/amps. Speaker cables are about that long as well for the run to outdoors. I have switches to select between the cables down in the area shown, or up on the wide open deck in the background. I had 2 speaker systems out there for awhile, but I just don't spend that much time out there lately.

I am very intrigued by the Technomad Paris model speaker. I also notice that DT has a new model with an aluminum cabinet. Interesting stuff.

gerG

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not much of an outdoor audio enthusiast, but that's because I've mostly been exposed to those horrible and cheap, weatherproof, PA-system-style speakers. You know the kind... reminiscient of the ones they use in department stores ("Attention K-Mart shoppers!"). However, your speakers are obviously much better. Must be great for patio parties.

By the way, nice patio. Nice hacienda, for that matter. Looks like you live in a pueblo or something.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back