Outboard Cross-feed circuit?
Oct 4, 2002 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fox_m_a

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this group and to serious headphone listening, and am sorta bothered by the "in your head" soundstage I'm getting from my MGHead/HD600 combo. Otherwise I'm very happy with the liquidity and tube magic of the combination (w/ RCA NOS 5751 tube).

Is there an outboard unit available for adding cross-feed to move the image out of my head and in front of me, without otherwise mucking up the sound? Or, do I just need to learn to adjust to the difference with headphones?

Thanks

Mike

Oct 4, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 6
There is a very simple Meier standalone cross-feed circuit (2 capacitors, 3 resistors) that you can put between the source and the amp. It was contained in some year-old thread I can't locate right now but you can probably also find it on Headwize.

I have the schematic, send me a PM if you're interested.

Legoman

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 6
The problem with Meier's and other passive crossfeeds as was pointed out to me by Kelly and KurtW is that they expect to be driven by a low-impedance source. Like an amp but not a CD player. That's exactly what happens in Corda (crossfeed is put between the two stages of the amplifier) but a complete opposite of what happens if xfeed circuit is placed between the source and an amp. So expect to lose some hf extension and some bass. This Chu Moy's article talks about it in greater detail.

A remedy would be buffering the signal before it enters the crossfeed. However, this would require an additional power supply and would cause some additional sonic degradation.

There exists a ready-made headroom more static external crossfeed module but it's expensive. I've never tried it so I cannot comment on its performance. AFAIK RickG has one.

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Several months back Tangent built a modified Linkwitz crossfeed in a standalone box for a very reasonable price -- you might want to check with him.

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 6
In my opinion these are the type of things that the DIYers out there should to work in, (instead of cutting and soldering cables or modifing whatever is well done, and at the end, most of the times are a whole mess or extremelly ugly) I will subscribe to this threat to see if at the end, someone got a printed board or a whole crossfeed circuit made at a reasonable price, that I can use for my MGHead, so there are two now fox, you are not alone, and of course the guys there in headroom has one, at the usual ridiculous unafordable price of 600.00, two or three times the price of a good amplifier or a headpone, Jesus who's gonna get that!!! I know that it for sure will be the best crossfeed in the whole world, but at this price com'on guys this is simply ridiculous....1/2 a month of salary, Jesus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back