Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Apr 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #902 of 1,284
  @darinf

I purchased Out Of You Head last week while the sale was going on. I downloaded the license for the preset I chose, and everything was working fine. Today I was trying to watch some of my Plex content and it was cutting the audio and popping up the dialog to purchase the preset that I already purchased last week. In the preset list there is still a little certificate looking icon to the right of the AZen Adagio Plus plus license I chose, so it looks like the program still acknowledges that I licensed it. I've tried restarting Out Of Your Head and that didn't fix it. Any ideas about what I should do? Thanks.

Hi @Got the Shakes,

Thanks for your purchase. Sorry the license is not working.

Recently we have had a couple people who have reported a similar problem. I am not sure if some OS updates have caused some problems.

The others were able to remedy the license problems by rebooting. But sometimes the problem will come back.

I can try regenerating your license file just to make sure that isn't an issue.

Please e-mail me so we can try some other things just in case.

Thanks,
-Darin

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #903 of 1,284
  Hi @Got the Shakes,

Thanks for your purchase. Sorry the license is not working.

Recently we have had a couple people who have reported a similar problem. I am not sure if some OS updates have caused some problems.

The others were able to remedy the license problems by rebooting. But sometimes the problem will come back.

I can try regenerating your license file just to make sure that isn't an issue.

Please e-mail me so we can try some other things just in case.

Thanks,
-Darin

@darinf

Did reboot, that was what I tried right after restarting the program itself. Seemed to work for a little bit, but then the issue started again. I sent you an email just now as you requested. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #904 of 1,284
Hi hi!

i've been enjoying the OOYH trial very much, and thinking about which preset I might buy.

But recently it's stopped receiving audio from any source program.

I'm on a Macintosh, running 10.7.5. I mostly use Vox, but I've tried other programs too (e.g. Cog and a variety of non-music programs), and whatever I choose and however I set its outputs and the system's audio output in System Preferences I get no sound through OOYH, and the level indicators in the OOYH control panel show no input (no green).

Any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #906 of 1,284
Hi hi!

i've been enjoying the OOYH trial very much, and thinking about which preset I might buy.

But recently it's stopped receiving audio from any source program.

I'm on a Macintosh, running 10.7.5. I mostly use Vox, but I've tried other programs too (e.g. Cog and a variety of non-music programs), and whatever I choose and however I set its outputs and the system's audio output in System Preferences I get no sound through OOYH, and the level indicators in the OOYH control panel show no input (no green).

Any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!

Hi @tumble ,

Glad you were enjoying Out Of Your Head. Sorry it's not working now.

Wow, you are using a really old version of OS X... To be honest, I have not tested the latest version of Out Of Your Head with OS X 10.7.

But, in theory it should work.

So, first of all, when Out Of Your Head is running, it should automatically set  the default sound output device to the Out Of Your Head virtual audio device. So, in System Preferences/Sound/Output, the "OOYH(16CH)" device should be selected.

Then when you play audio from your media player, the sound output from the app should go to Out Of Your Head and you should see the audio level meters moving in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.

If you don't see any levels when playing audio, then try switching to a different output device in the right column of the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, if you have another one. If you are using a DAC, then try switching to "Built-In audio" in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, not in System Preferences/Sound. Or try switching to another speaker preset in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.

Another thing to check is to open "Utilities"/"Audio/MIDI Setup". In that interface, click on the OOYH(16CH) device. Then select the Output tab. Make sure that the levels are set to 100% and none of the channels are muted.
Then, click on your DAC or whatever output device you are using for your headphones. Also check that none of the output channels are muted. (You can adjust the volume to your headphones here too, so don't turn it up to 100%)

If you are still not getting any audio to Out Of Your Head, then it's most likely a configuration issue with your media player. To test that, try playing some audio from iTunes or YouTube or your browser. Those apps always play audio to the default system device (which should be OOYH(16CH) when Out Of Your Head is running.)

Let me know if any of these things help. Or you can e-mail us directly via our contact form and we can help you via e-mail.

Thanks,
-Darin

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #907 of 1,284
  Hi @tumble ,

Glad you were enjoying Out Of Your Head. Sorry it's not working now.

Wow, you are using a really old version of OS X... To be honest, I have not tested the latest version of Out Of Your Head with OS X 10.7.

But, in theory it should work.

So, first of all, when Out Of Your Head is running, it should automatically set  the default sound output device to the Out Of Your Head virtual audio device. So, in System Preferences/Sound/Output, the "OOYH(16CH)" device should be selected.

Then when you play audio from your media player, the sound output from the app should go to Out Of Your Head and you should see the audio level meters moving in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.

If you don't see any levels when playing audio, then try switching to a different output device in the right column of the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, if you have another one. If you are using a DAC, then try switching to "Built-In audio" in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, not in System Preferences/Sound. Or try switching to another speaker preset in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.

Another thing to check is to open "Utilities"/"Audio/MIDI Setup". In that interface, click on the OOYH(16CH) device. Then select the Output tab. Make sure that the levels are set to 100% and none of the channels are muted.
Then, click on your DAC or whatever output device you are using for your headphones. Also check that none of the output channels are muted. (You can adjust the volume to your headphones here too, so don't turn it up to 100%)

If you are still not getting any audio to Out Of Your Head, then it's most likely a configuration issue with your media player. To test that, try playing some audio from iTunes or YouTube or your browser. Those apps always play audio to the default system device (which should be OOYH(16CH) when Out Of Your Head is running.)

Let me know if any of these things help. Or you can e-mail us directly via our contact form and we can help you via e-mail.

Thanks,
-Darin

Just to be clear, the audio signal path should be:

Media player app --> OOYH(16CH) audio device --> DAC (selected in the right column of the Out Of Your Head Control Panel) --> amp --> headphones

-Darin

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #908 of 1,284
That was quick! I hope you get evenings away from work at least sometimes.

All fixed, thanks to your suggestions. OOYH's output was muted in Audio MIDI Setup. No idea how that happened - I'm fairly sure it's not something I did. It's just possible that it was an errant mouse click I made at some point, but I doubt it, so there might be a bug somewhere. I'll let you know if it happens again.

MacOS 10.7.5 is the last version of MacOS that has anything remotely approaching decent privacy, so I won't be upgrading from that, ever. I guess I'll have to switch to linux or BSD eventually.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #909 of 1,284
Hi @edwardsean
The other possibility is that for some people IEM's may work better since they at least eliminate the interaction of the sound from headphone drivers with the pinnae. In theory that should eliminate one more variable in the equation. But you would think then that IEM's would always sound better with Out Of Your Head. I don't think that's the case though for everyone. 

I find this really interesting. My impression so far (you have a lot more experience than me, of course) is the same: OOYH's spatialisation isn't any better (for me) with IEMs than it is with over-the-pinna headphones. Which is not what I'd expected. (I'm comparing Unique Melody Miracle CIEMs with Stax Lambda Pros, by the way.)

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #911 of 1,284

That was quick! I hope you get evenings away from work at least sometimes.

All fixed, thanks to your suggestions. OOYH's output was muted in Audio MIDI Setup. No idea how that happened - I'm fairly sure it's not something I did. It's just possible that it was an errant mouse click I made at some point, but I doubt it, so there might be a bug somewhere. I'll let you know if it happens again.

MacOS 10.7.5 is the last version of MacOS that has anything remotely approaching decent privacy, so I won't be upgrading from that, ever. I guess I'll have to switch to linux or BSD eventually.

Glad you got it working! Happy to help. I don't sleep much and am in front of my computer way too much!

P.S. @darinf: I see I didn't explicitly say thank you. Thank you!

You're welcome.

I find this really interesting. My impression so far (you have a lot more experience than me, of course) is the same: OOYH's spatialisation isn't any better (for me) with IEMs than it is with over-the-pinna headphones. Which is not what I'd expected. (I'm comparing Unique Melody Miracle CIEMs with Stax Lambda Pros, by the way.)

IEM's are tricky. In theory you would think IEM's would provide a more "direct" sound to your eardrums, which it does. But there's something about how open, over-ear headphones can sound, well, more open.

Also there's something about the electrostatic drivers which work well with Out Of Your Head. I think it's the "speed" of the driver that can reproduce all the micro-detail of the sound reflections and pinnae interactions really well. Also, since those Stax headphones are so open, I think it's easier for your brain to believe that you are hearing speakers in a room since you can hear all the other external noises.

I am not familiar with the sound of the Unique Melody IEM's, but when you know that the CIEMs are blocking a lot of the audio from the outside, sometimes your brain doesn't believe that you can be hearing speakers through your sealed CIEMs.

Anyway, everyone hears differently so YMMV with different headphones.

-Darin

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #912 of 1,284

I've just experienced the same problem again, with the same solution, but this time I'm sure I didn't tell Audio MIDI Setup to mute anything. Some other process did. (Am I a process? Well, you know what I mean.)

This might be worth adding to the Troubleshooting section of the manual. That already mentions Audio MIDI Setup, but it doesn't mention looking to see that nothing is muted ... which you might think would be a no-brainer, but it wasn't for me. When I first experienced this problem, I immediately checked that Audio MIDI Setup had the right routes, but it didn't occur to me to look at the Mute box.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #913 of 1,284
when you know that the CIEMs are blocking a lot of the audio from the outside, sometimes your brain doesn't believe that you can be hearing speakers through your sealed CIEMs.

Very interesting.

And as for electrostatics being wonderful, yes indeed! The two things that make me unhappy in life are rampant cruelty to animals and not enough people having electrostatic headphones.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #914 of 1,284

I've just experienced the same problem again, with the same solution, but this time I'm sure I didn't tell Audio MIDI Setup to mute anything. Some other process did. (Am I a process? Well, you know what I mean.)

This might be worth adding to the Troubleshooting section of the manual. That already mentions Audio MIDI Setup, but it doesn't mention looking to see that nothing is muted ... which you might think would be a no-brainer, but it wasn't for me. When I first experienced this problem, I immediately checked that Audio MIDI Setup had the right routes, but it didn't occur to me to look at the Mute box.

Yes, I should add that to the troubleshooting section of the manual... will do.

Not sure why it would be getting muted. Maybe your media player has some kind of auto mute function? A keyboard shortcut? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back