Our universe is so beautiful...
Nov 26, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Color is dropped in later with the popular Photoshop program.

well crap.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 30
Well, remember those stars and galaxies don't just emit waves in the visible light spectrum, they emit waves on all frequencies. Humans tend to believe things that can be seen with eyes, so whatever great information Hubble receives, if not colorful, will not be easily appreciated by the general public.

You can bet those bodies also emit waves that we cannot detect today (we don't have the technology), but from what we can gather, they look already nothing short of breathtaking.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are these images produced? (sorry, i dont feel like researching)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gathered that much. I guess I was wondering how the hubble produces those images, and how such vibrant colors are produced. Are those photograph-type images, or renditions of captured extra-visible (both over and under) wavlengths?

Yep. Many images like this are captured by measuring concentrations of x-ray radiation.

EDIT: Obviously yes, the images produced are black and white. Colour is added for the purpose of making the studying of such images easier, in the same way that civilian thermal imaging cameras show the hottest spots as deep red or white, and the coolest as blue.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #20 of 30
Some of the best sunset pictures that I've seen, are taken across the earth's horizon through lots of pollution.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the best sunset pictures that I've seen, are taken across the earth's horizon through lots of pollution.

Hehe, all that dust and smog tend to diffuse light in spectacular ways
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #22 of 30
I love these images, both from an astronomical perspective and an aesthetic one. However, keep in mind that these images are comprised of many hours of imaging time. most of those objects pictured would be utterly invisible to the naked eye, even up close (remember the intrinsic brightness does not change, the object becomes brighter as you move closer, but it also becomes larger in your field of view). It is up to us with our computers and software to really add some true color to the universe, and the results are spectacular.

Aditya

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #25 of 30
astronomy kicks ass

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 30
I can look at the Hubble images for hours and never grow tired of them. High speed download id a real plus.

Does anyone know if they are going ahead with the repair and upgrades to the Hubble telescope?

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know if they are going ahead with the repair and upgrades to the Hubble telescope?

Yes, that mission was recently approved. It makes the Hubble functional through 2013 I believe.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure which of these were "photoshoped", but some of them are straight from the visible light spectrum, exposed over long time by Hubble. Even telescopes on Earth are capable of showing nice colorful images.

True, they sometimes use cameras on the Hubble that can pick up X-ray, ultraviolet and infra-red light too. There's a lot of 'light' that visible light spectrum cameras can't pick up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that mission was recently approved. It makes the Hubble functional through 2013 I believe.

What's the plan after that? Have they decided on a replacement space-based telescope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back